Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I recently moved from a Fiat Bravo to a Alfa Romeo. I always wanted to have an Alfa, and I have to admit that It sure is a fun car to drive. Ok let forget that everyone thinks they are of a rubbish built. So far, in the 2 months I have owned it, I only had to put 3 new tyres, a new baterry, and 4L of Oil.

Now my question is, does a 2.0L Twin Spark 147 really use 4L of oil so quickly that I am in need to get more oil today?

I should have kept to diesel engines. Before i bought this one i read reviews on the internet and nothing nowhere mentioned high oil use. A bit disapointed about this to be honest.

Now, it doesntseem to leak, nor burn it... Did alfa put a little oil eating bug insise the engines pipework or is this normal? Warnick light come on, like other users described it, on shar turns, sharp breaking etc, and ultimaltly stays on... I just checked and it does indeed appear as empty as a empty glass of dry martini.

Usefull comments welcome.

Happy new year to you all

Ciao.

C

·
0 Posts
alfa's have a thirst for oil always have ! but i think 4L in 2 months is a bit extreme i have a 156 2.0L twin spark and i have used about 6L in a year

if you search the forum im sure you will find alot of topics about oil use , what type of oil are you using by the way ? :cool:

C

·
0 Posts
If you are using 10w40 then can i suggest changing to 10w60 as this should help the amount of oil it drinks.

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
The cam cover gasket is also a favorite leaking spot, as is the inlet manifold gasket near the cam variator actuator.

1 litre per 1000 miles is considered accepatable although most use less.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
147 Oil Thirst

Interested to know if anybody has used the 10/60 previously mentioned. My 1.6 147 travels 1.5k a month and drinks 2litres of oil in that time.using 10/40 semi synthetic magnatec.

I previously had 140k t sparks use nil and 30k t sparks drink 1 litre /1k miles
Thoughts please

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
If it using much more than 1 litre every 1000 miles or so then there is something wrong and adding a 10w-60 won't make much difference IMO.

Plus using a 10w-60 has other potential downsides.

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
Using a thicker oil can make top end wear more likely such as damaged cam lobes, due to the fact there will be lower oil circulation.

It also causes more drag, which soaks up some power and makes fuel consumption worse.

A 10w-60 is the thickest engine oil you can get and although ideal for a hot climate and track use, it isn't going to work too well in the UK at the moment as its optimum operating temperature is a lot higher than a 10w-40.

The formulation of the oil also makes a difference. a 10w-40 semi synthetic will generally burn faster than a 10w-40 fully synthetic as synthetics are engineered to be less volatile.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
That's good info Thanks.

Will try fully synthetic on next oil change then given that mon-fri my car sits on the motorway

·
Registered
384 Posts
as stated all over this site , 1 litre per 1000km is within tolerance , 625 miles.

you have not said how many miles you have covered in the 2 months.

mine does about 800 miles per litre , was far worse with 10w40.

use 10w60 now , i buy 12 litres at a time , shell helix racing fully syn. costs £87.00 inc. delivery.

you should never rely on the warning light ,you need to check it every week or more.

there are millions of very knowledgeable past threads on the oil issues for alfa`s on here , have a look.

i know some owners say no to 10w60 but the actual alfa handbook says 10w60 for my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies. I do have the 10w40 semi oil, but thanks for the snow I found out that there is a major leak somewhere as 4 litres when in and out pretty much on the same day.

I will have it sorted out at my garage soon, when the snow clears. Due to the mileage I do I will most likely sell it as buy a diesel tho.

Thanks all for the usefull info.

And yes my cars manual also says that for performance driving 10w60 is recommended. Not that I do it...

Ciao

1 - 13 of 13 Posts