Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao Tutti

Just wondering how often other alfa driver's check their oil level i know TS engines use it i check mine about once a week....is that too often? :confused:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest no not seen any change in level ben checking every week for a few months but i do carry a litre for top ups

Do you use much?

N

·
0 Posts
Hardly ever: Whenever the oil gauge doesn't say full.
(Even then it still doesn't need oil.)

·
0 Posts
Not a great deal :thumbs: :D - some are reputed to use 1L / 1000 miles, so thought I'd ask - just being nosey :lol:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My GTV used to use a bit until I changed the thermostat........... uses hardly any now............ But I still check it religiously once a week.......... Before and after a long drive.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I check mine every friday night before a 40 mile trip to brum. It only needs topping up once a month though.

My old engine needed topping up every week, it had been run low on oil in the past.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
I tend to have a look whenever I have the bonnet up or before and after a long journey.

Mind you, the beast is fairly consistent. It needs a small top-up about once a month or so if I'm just doing my normal routine, so that's the minimum I check it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I check mine every few days, mine is a heavy drinker. does 1L every thousand miles.

A few people have told me to change the thermostat or go for selina oil.

Im gonna get the car serviced next month so thought i'd see if that made a difference first.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
New oil will reduce consumption as it's a bit thicker than old oil. But I guess after 2000 miles or so, it will start to get to where it is at the moment.

You can try Selenia (etc) Racing 10W60 synthetic oil. It will stay thicker for longer (as it warms up) so should burn less. The synthetic base will also be less prone to breaking down with miles, so it will stay "in grade" for longer than a semi-synthetic (most of which are made from mineral bases).

Selenia do a 10W40 too (the "20k") which is not going to be much different .. it's a semi-synthetic on a mineral base. You need the "Racing" flavour.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never had to top the 147 between oil and filter services, but did check it regularly though. I put it's lack of oil consumption down to the piston and rings, especially the scraper, plus the bores themselves all being in fine fettle? Plus a steady old right foot? :lol:

·
Registered
26,114 Posts
I check it every week - top up (half a litre or thereabouts) once a month, i.e. on average 0.5 litres/2.500 km after the first year when it used more... (JTS, not TS)

K

·
0 Posts
I check mine every few days When i am filling the washer bottle up. Bliddy headlamp washers :rolleyes:
In December I seemed to be topping up my washers every other day so I pulled the plug on the headlamp ones.

I check my oil at least once a week, sometimes more. It's an old habit that I got out of for a while but got into again when I had my Mini. It has needed one top up in 7 months but it's due for a change now. It will be getting 10w40 and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok.a series of questions:p!
where does the oil level have to be?maximum line or somewhere in between?what is best for the engine?
what oil is the best to use?10w-60?
i have a classic car.triumph 2000 6cyl.what is better to run old engines with?synthetic or not?
a friend has a bmw 320i 2004 model and it burns a lot of oil.changing the oil to full synthetic will make any difference?
what is the smoke colour coming from the exhaust of an oil burning engine?

ohhhh i have ended up with a questionere!:p
HAppy awnsering:p!:D :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I check mine every other week or before a long trip. I've never had to put any more in though. I use Selenia Racing and change it every 6k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts