Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '97 'R' 2.0 16v and both oil level warning lights have come on. Oil pressure light OK and gauge registers over 4bar. Checked level which was halfway between full and empty, topped it up anyway. The light beneath the speedo now goes out but only after a while and the light in the row of lights by the stereo remains on all the time. I am using the same oil as I have always done for the past four years which is 5/40 synthetic.

Anybody any ideas>

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Phil mine sometimes does the same ,even with a new sender which is located behind the rear of the engine mine does it every now and again.
I looked in the workshop manual and it says something about the led in the control panel will stay on until it gets a good signal from the sender which in turn goes through the light in the dash [must be in series]?what you can do is unscrew the sender and clean the contacts because they stick together.
My sender is about a year old and at the moment my control led is on but my dash light goes out after i pull away ,i think sometimes it can start to happen if you park the car facing downhill [ie the sender contacts are not in the oil]and once they stick together the problem starts.

Regards Graham
124 in register wink

C

·
0 Posts
I had the same thing a few years ago, lived with it for a couple then got the garage to fix it.
It was the sensor attached near to the dip stick that was at fault and not expensive to fix.

Ian.

·
Banned
477 Posts
I had this happen to me, but since I had an oil change, oil filter, air filter, lambda sensor, variator, cam belt, tensioner, ht lead done its fixed!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had a major service including plugs, variator and belts so I deduce it is the sensor. Just ordered one so it will be kill or cure next weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts