Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, had an oil change about 8 months ago. Trip computer showed it as 5 bars being full. Now its down to 3 bars and i've had that crappy change oil thing come up because i've done over 12,000 miles. Now i went to top up the oil, i've stuck about 1-2 litres into it and the damn trip computer still reads 3 out of 5 bars. Any idea just how many litres the oil tank on a 159 2.4 JTD takes ???

Cheers

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The difference between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick is a litre IIRC. So if you had to put in 2-3 litres it was very low on oil. This would set my alarm bells ringing as there is no way the engine should go through 3 litres+ in 12000 miles.

I'd get this checked out.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Right, had an oil change about 8 months ago. Trip computer showed it as 5 bars being full. Now its down to 3 bars and i've had that crappy change oil thing come up because i've done over 12,000 miles. Now i went to top up the oil, i've stuck about 1-2 litres into it and the damn trip computer still reads 3 out of 5 bars. Any idea just how many litres the oil tank on a 159 2.4 JTD takes ???

Cheers
Why dont you just check it on the dipstick?
But if your oil degredation counter tells you it needs an oil change,just topping it up want stop it from needing one!:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a little update. Just checked trip computer it says its full now. Checked dipstick its a bit over maximum, now i panic about these things. Do i have anything to worry about ?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So long as no damage was done with the oil level being low then all should be fine. Unfortunately damage from low oil tends to show up later in a cars life.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've ordered a decent pump/vaccum but won't arrive for 2 days just worried if anything will go in these 2 days....

N

·
0 Posts
Errrr why didn't you check the dipstick first? :confused:

The electronic guage could register wrong for a number of reasons.
Slope, disconnected/reconnected battery etc.

The dipstick, however, is pretty foolproof. ;)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Its surprising it used oil as teh Jtd generally doesnt - have a look for a leak.....

I had a cracked pipe round the back of the engine at the oil cooler that lost me some oil, now its fixed, the car uses zero oil between services.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yes i do feel stupid lol
Oh well getting some oil taken out today, no dramas.

One last question when the change oil sign comes up on the trip computer is this just like the service expired sign, basically because its done 12,000 miles it comes up with that ? Or is there an oil quality sensor ?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No, it's an oil quality sensor. Mine never came on in the first 18k because of the type of driving I do, I assume (motorway driving). I think it measures the viscosity somehow. If it says change the oil then you should change it. TBH I'm gonna start changing the oil every 9k anyway (halfway between service).

·
Registered
121 Posts

Yes the oil level on my dash is forever changing because I always park on a road with high camber, so its always on an incline. Sometimes the turkey baster icon comes telling my the oil level is too low. I have resorted to not trusting the dash and checking the dip on a periodic basis.

N

·
0 Posts
:thumbs:

Yup I bought a small can of oil to top up the Brera which was
reading low for a whole day just before handing it back.

Verified with the dipstick: no issue.

Next day electronic gauge read true.

:rolleyes:

Anyone need a 1l top-up of Total 5W/40? ;)

First AOer passing through for Milan can claim it
as a gift.

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts