Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there known issues with getting a reliable reading from the dipstick on a GT?

Measuring oil level today, dipstick covered in oil before wiping clean - re-inserted, checked again and nothing bar some residue. Engine running faultlessly, gears smooth, temp stayed fine, no oil warning light. Tried measuring half hour after engine off, then again 5 mim later.

Any reason this may be? Car was on flat ground, but if the oil was that low surely there'd be a warning light or hefty engine issues, makes me think there's something else up, maybe I was doing it wrong somehow!?

L

·
0 Posts
your engine holds 4.5 litres of oil, the dip stick [ Min to Max ] shows 1 litre. If the oil is at MIN there is still 3.5 litres of oil left in the sump BUT YOU need to top up the oil asap. 10w40 for TS engine car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your engine holds 4.5 litres of oil, the dip stick [ Min to Max ] shows 1 litre. If the oil is at MIN there is still 3.5 litres of oil left in the sump BUT YOU need to top up the oil asap. 10w40 for TS engine car.
Ah ok. So there's no feasible reason why a dipstick would be unreliable in showing the upper 1ltr of oil? Say you started filling it on the back of this reading, there'd be no risk of overfilling without noticing on the stick first?

L

·
0 Posts
if there is NO oil on the dipstick you cna safely add 1 litre of oil with fear of over filling. 1 litre may not get it to the MAX so you'll need to check the oil level & add as required.

You do know that the Alfa Twin Spark engine uses oil & need ot be check on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
And your oil light is an oil pressure light, not an oil level light - by the time it comes on your engine has already been damaged.
If your dipstick is showing nothing at all then you'll have to add a lot more than 1 litre.

M

·
0 Posts
if there is NO oil on the dipstick you cna safely add 1 litre of oil with fear of over filling. 1 litre may not get it to the MAX so you'll need to check the oil level & add as required.

You do know that the Alfa Twin Spark engine uses oil & need ot be check on a weekly basis.
Most of them... I have a 1.8 that doesn't burn oil but first engine did.... need to check every 500 miles till you get an idea how quickly your TS burns oil then decide how often you need to check yours.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Baffling me this now.

Just been out, run engine long enough to get temp up then left it a couple of min - started taking measurements. 7 times out of ten the dipstick coming up "clean" (each time dots facing engine on stick, smooth withdraw of stick and cleaning after each measure) the other couple of times there'll be a "blotch" of dark oil towards the max but a gap below it, or smothered in oil from tip all the way to above max.

Problem is I've added maybe a litre/litre and a half now - and I really don't want to add more without a consistent way of knowing what's going on.

I believe this car's been sat for some time before today, could that have a bearing on things?

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Baffling me this now.

Just been out, run engine long enough to get temp up then left it a couple of min - started taking measurements. 7 times out of ten the dipstick coming up "clean"
Check it in the morning BEFORE starting the engine...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
You never check the oil when the car is warm, as all the oil is circulating within the engine, and will be thinner. You need to do it when the car is cold. That will give you an accurate reading.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You never check the oil when the car is warm, as all the oil is circulating within the engine, and will be thinner. You need to do it when the car is cold. That will give you an accurate reading.
*face-palm* :cry:

I'll wait for the morning then, and hope to god I've not over-filled it.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The ts is a bit of a pain to read as it gets it up the stick sheath as you pull it out. Dc says do it in the morning when the engine is cold as oil expands with heat and will give you a higher reading than when cold. My trick for measuring a ts. Pull dipstuck and wipe. Wait and count to 20. Now dip it in and pull it straight out. Should be pretty accurate then. Check it weakly as if you don't these engines are know for knackering big end bearings when run low on oil. Basically a nice big repair bill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ts is a bit of a pain to read as it gets it up the stick sheath as you pull it out. Dc says do it in the morning when the engine is cold as oil expands with heat and will give you a higher reading than when cold. My trick for measuring a ts. Pull dipstuck and wipe. Wait and count to 20. Now dip it in and pull it straight out. Should be pretty accurate then. Check it weakly as if you don't these engines are know for knackering big end bearings when run low on oil. Basically a nice big repair bill
Once I know the trick of a consistent measuring method I'll be well on top of it, for years I've gone on the assumption you check an engine when it's still warm. Such a dumb-ass.

On the offchance I've over-filled, any remedies for that?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
As si says. Drain it from the sump. If its a mm or two over you'll be ok though :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts