Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 07 spider 2.2jts, the handbook says i should have an oil level indicator when i put the key fob in, i haven't seen an indicator and can't find it in the menu function, can anyone please tell me how to display it.thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
You should see a bar graph on the MFD between the speedo & rec counter.

You'll probably find that your car won't use ant oil:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, not showing oil level on the display when putting key in or anytime after, not showing up when scrolling through menu?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I wouldn't(don't) trust the sensor anyway. Regular manual checks, just like every other car I've ever owned.

As SR says, they don't have a rep for using oil. :thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply, but i'm a bit of a sad act when it comes to gadgets working, and would like to see the indicator on the display:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
The oil level display comes on only for a very short period right after inserting the key fob. But since you're obviously searching for it, I doubt if you would miss it. As far as I know, there is no way to display it via the menu options. Mine only comes on with the key fob and I don't know of another way to display it except perhaps with a diagnostics program like FiatECUScan.

Does your oil temperature indicator function? The level and temperature sensors are in one combined sending unit. You need to drop the oil pan to replace the sensor but there is an electrical connector on the front of the oil sump you can get to without removing anything if your arm is long enough. Perhaps wiggling or cleaning the contacts there would help. Be careful about breaking the connector though. It's plastic and has a difficult-to-see release catch. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That's odd...

Now you have brought this to my attention, I'm sure when I bought the car 1.5 years ago, this indicator came on every time I put the key fob in.

Now I can't remember the last time I saw it at all - completely forgot it was meant to be there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for replys, the oil temp gauge is not working so maybe connected to that, i have removed the sensor plug at front of engine and cleaned connections, still not working.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't remember if the oil level/temperature system has a separate fuse or not, but I would certainly look for one before I started removing the sump bolts. I remember looking for one when my temp indicator wasn't working, but I don't remember if I didn't find one or if I found one and it was OK. However, my level indicator worked fine; only the temp function didn't. Changing the sensor fixed the problem on my car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To be honest you have to put the key in and just wait a few seconds while it does the check. The engine must be cold like any oil check. Also if you press the start engine button then the engine has been started and it won't do a test. You can't run a test either because if the conditions are right it will automatically do it. I have an '06 plate 159 and it does it under these rules. Hope this helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
An interesting thread!

My oil temp guage has recently 'done an Alfa', and stopped working once it has reached its usual operating temperature. I see this a common fault.
Has anyone found a suitable,and relatively inexpensive replacement sensor which I could purchase ahead of the annual oill change?
I don't want to change the oil now and then have to drain the whole lot out to change a sensor at a later point.
There seem to be replacement units available at eye-watering prices, and also cheaper 'compatible' units on-line. Any pointers?

Good weekend all

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
That would be good if it works.......although sump removal is pretty easy on these....off and on in 90 mins or less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm moreso trying to get around the expensive cost of the sensor itself :) This should work for the 3.2 as well so hopefully will be much easier!

·
Registered
31 Posts
An interesting thread!

My oil temp guage has recently 'done an Alfa', and stopped working once it has reached its usual operating temperature. I see this a common fault.
Has anyone found a suitable,and relatively inexpensive replacement sensor which I could purchase ahead of the annual oill change?
I don't want to change the oil now and then have to drain the whole lot out to change a sensor at a later point.
There seem to be replacement units available at eye-watering prices, and also cheaper 'compatible' units on-line. Any pointers?

Good weekend all
My oil temp gauge has stopped working so would be interested to hear how it works out and how much it cost to fix it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts