Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 159 has always displayed MAX on the console oil display when I insert my key.
Today she slipped down to 1 bar under max.

The dipstick is on the max level.. So I'm fine I believe..

My questions I guess is that on the dipstick the oil should in theory be in between halfway min and max, so why not the electronic display ?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electronics don't always work...Personally I go by the Dip Stick and not what the dash is telling me, I make sure to let her sit on a level surface and let the oil settle for a bit before checking the level...And top up as required :)
After 8K Miles no Oil has been used, and its not for the want of trying :D
Have to agree.. ;) 12k miles, one oil change and not a drop used.. :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dipstick.

The guage seems to read low after battery disconnections
or when parked up on a slope for a while. (Even after
going back onto the flat. )

;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Dip stick every time. My read out on the dash isn't always consistent - sometimes it registers 1 bar below, others times spot on. Consequently I never trust it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dip stick every time. My read out on the dash isn't always consistent - sometimes it registers 1 bar below, others times spot on. Consequently I never trust it.
No school like old school eh.. I agree Ladies and Gents..

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The hollow tubed version, vacuum operated, on my HPE, was always a spot on indicator, very accurate. Good Italian, I guess idea?

Is yours a new fangled electronic version then? I expect so, with the foibles they present. I hate electronic 'gizzmos' gve me physical stuff I can see and relate to every time!!:D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dipstick is best too I reckon, would you really trust Italian electronics? :cheese:

My 1.9 has done 16k, dash is reading 3 bars, just over half on dipstick, it will easily make first service at 18k without a top up.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
To be safe, both, especially as the dash indicator can vary quite a bit if you park on a slope (warning no oil has come up before when parked on Clare's Cad's really steep drive).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Last week my oil level dash display was showing 3 bars (from 5). Got some oil to top it up but never used it as a day later it was back at 5 bars :confused:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dipstick.

The guage seems to read low after battery disconnections
or when parked up on a slope for a while. (Even after
going back onto the flat. )

;)

Agree with this, although never disconnected the battery. Oil level on the 2.4 should be done when engine is warm then switched off and allowed to settle for a few mins according to my handbook....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Last week my oil level dash display was showing 3 bars (from 5). Got some oil to top it up but never used it as a day later it was back at 5 bars :confused:
Exactly the same for me:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts