Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.:thumbs:

ive posted about this problem before but this is really starting to bug me now. when i try to check the oil i can never get a reading on the dipstick. no matter how i pull the dipstick out there is only a tiny bit of oil on the bottom of it. ive heard of other 147 owners having this problem so how does everyone else get around the problem??? i really worried about not been able to check the oil accuratley :(

thanks all.:thumbs:

·
Registered
249 Posts
thats maybe because you have only got abit of oil in the sump, hence the small reading

try topping it up to see if that changes the level on the dip stick..... if it still reads low for some strange reason then you can easyily drain out some excess oil out of the sump plug...

its easyer to drain abit of oil out, than replace the engine due to oil starvation

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats maybe because you have only got abit of oil in the sump, hence the small reading

try topping it up to see if that changes the level on the dip stick..... if it still reads low for some strange reason then you can easyily drain out some excess oil out of the sump plug...

its easyer to drain abit of oil out, than replace the engine due to oil starvation
sorry i should have said...the car was serviced only 1 month ago and if the reading on the dipstic were correct the engine would not be running...trust me.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
What engine is it?
I ask because some twin-spark engines can burn up to 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles.

As stated above, the oil is either very low (try adding some?) or the dipstick may not be the correct one for your particular engine...

Engines will run on not much oil, just not for very long.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you haven't checked for a month the oil will be low the TS engine can use oil at an alarming rate. Check the forums its full of people asking the same questions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What engine is it?
I ask because some twin-spark engines can burn up to 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles.

As stated above, the oil is either very low (try adding some?) or the dipstick may not be the correct one for your particular engine...

Engines will run on not much oil, just not for very long.
its 1.6 ts mate and the oil level has been like this since i bought the car a month ago. an engine cant run without oil for a month!!!:wow: if i pull the dipstick out really really fast (i mean i look like f-ing zorro!!!) i can sometimes get a reading of "MAX" but i takes maybe 10 goes!!!

i might just drop the oil and replace to be on the safe side.:rant: which brand and grade do you guys recomend for a 1.6 ts engine.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
usually from min to max reading is approx 1 litre try adding half and see if level increases
when engine stone cold check level as well

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did notice today the first time i checked it (just pulled the dipstick and looked at it) the level was on max. then tried checking it again a couldnt get a reading. very very strange.:rant:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i might just drop the oil and replace to be on the safe side.:rant: which brand and grade do you guys recomend for a 1.6 ts engine.
Wise move. If you're changing the filter too, I think you'll need 4.5 litres to fill the sump.

Any decent 10/40 - 10/60 semi synth will do ya. I use 10/60 myself.

If you have to do regular top ups in future, use the exact same oil that is already in the sump.

HTH

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok cheers for all the replies chaps....just gonna drop the oil. is it ok to use flush on the ts engine?

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
i did notice today the first time i checked it (just pulled the dipstick and looked at it) the level was on max. then tried checking it again a couldnt get a reading. very very strange.:rant:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but you do know that you need to wipe the dipstick before checking?
Remove
Wipe
Insert
remove
read the level on the engine side of the dipstick

The level needs to be read after the engine hasn't run for some time. If you check it straight after turning it off, it will read low.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry if this is a silly question, but you do know that you need to wipe the dipstick before checking?
Remove
Wipe
Insert
remove
read the level on the engine side of the dipstick

The level needs to be read after the engine hasn't run for some time. If you check it straight after turning it off, it will read low.
yeah thats the way im doing it david. but this is where it gets strange, leave the car overnight...pull dipstick...OIL ON MAX...wipe...insert...pull...oil only on the bottom tip of dipstick. then no matter how many times i repeat the procedure i cant get a proper reading.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just checked the oil according to the handbook...run the engine for a bit then turn off, wait 5 mins and check and managed to get a couple of max readings but still not as consistant as getting an exact reading evertime.:confused::(

K

·
0 Posts
its 1.6 ts mate and the oil level has been like this since i bought the car a month ago. an engine cant run without oil for a month!!!:wow: if i pull the dipstick out really really fast (i mean i look like f-ing zorro!!!) i can sometimes get a reading of "MAX" but i takes maybe 10 goes!!!

just because the oil doesn't reach the min mark on the dipstick it doesn't mean it's empty, just low.
the car holds around 4.5ltrs and min to max is about 1ltr so the mark at minimum will still be about 3.5ltrs of oil in the engine, not empty ;)

all the ts engines need checking EVERY week, they can use a litre every 1,000 miles as has been said. if it was serviced 4 weeks ago (presuming the oil was changed :confused:) and you do average mileage then its not unexpected to be down on (or below) the min mark.

i have noticed on my 156 2.0ts that it has to be stood for at least 4 hours to get consistent readings, trying after say an hour just gets oil all up the dipstick presumably as it's draining down? is really due a change though, that might help me ;)

if you're really worried a cheap easy way to see what you have in is to drain it into a clean container and see what amount you have. you can poor it back in if it's newish oil and you will know how many litres you have in the sump :thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
Oil is the most discussed topic on this site by far!Everyone has their own opinions about which one to use.Here is mine......haha.......Castrol Edge during warmer months and Castrol Magnetec for colder.Wait for all the replies rubbishing this...:)

K

·
0 Posts
mine is on castrol magnatec at the moment, only had it since jan 2nd. will be changing to silkolene in a few weeks, seen too many problems with castrol when we were rallying back in the 90's, kind of put me off using it but maybe they are better now :confused:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts