Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a neglected 147 JTDM and am starting to restore it to working order, however I have no expierience with diesels and turbos so need some help identifying how to correct the oil leaks I have found around the Turbo and PCV hoses . Please have a look at the pictures to see if you can identify the cause.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Misting of oil is quite normal in my opinion due to the breather system. However if it is excessive and you are losing oil,the intercooller can literally be drained or it is burning oil then you could be looking at turbo issue or pcv stuck open so draw from turbo is sucking oil out when on boost.

I would change clips on pipes and give a good clean then monitor oil use/leakage

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Misting of oil is quite normal in my opinion due to the breather system. However if it is excessive and you are losing oil,the intercooller can literally be drained or it is burning oil then you could be looking at turbo issue or pcv stuck open so draw from turbo is sucking oil out when on boost.

I would change clips on pipes and give a good clean then monitor oil use/leakage
I agree, this looks pretty normal, especially the messy lower boost hose, on a neglected car. The hose goes soft with age, and oil mist tends to escape. (It also balloons and eventually wears a hole in itself, against the bellhousing, which ruins boost). Mine looked similar a couple of years ago, but since fitting more rigid silicone hoses there's negligible leakage. I know my turbo is fine as I've had it apart, and there is almost no oil use at all between services.

The usual problem with the breather is the vacuum oil separator, which has a fragile plastic push-fit clamp onto the brass tube at the top. The clamp breaks, then you get oil vapour escaping and a horrible mess. However your mucky PCV and hose might just be (again) softened hose and poor clamp/seal. I'd take the joint apart, clean it up with brake cleaner, fit a new Jubilee clamp, and see how it goes, as johnnyroper says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ,thats very reassuring, I will try new jubilee clips and clean up for now. Next step is to remove the inlet manifold , remove the swirl flaps (if they are still fitted) and blank EGR. followed by a remap and it should be OK for a whileas far as engine is concerned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts