Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just noticed a pool of oil under the front drivers side of my car!
It's difficult to see where its come from as its getting dark and i'm not really dressed for crawling around under the car at the moment. The wheel arch liner is sprayed as is the internal rim of the alloy. It seems ti be coming from quite near to the drivers side front wheel. Is there any obvious reason/place it could be coming from (filter/sensor etc.)

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
From the shock? Or possibly brake fluid :eek:

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Agree with bazza, feel the brake pedal very carefully before driving anywhere - prefferably with the engine running so you have the servo assistance :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but maybe i didn't explain properly. It seems to be engine oil.
It's a '95 V6 if that helps narrow it down a bit

W

·
0 Posts
I'd be fairly certian it is the oil cooler or oil pipes that are leaking. I've had exactly the same on mine.

It could be leaking on the engine end but I'd guess it's either the oil cooler itself or the connections. The cooler is located in the bumper, drivers side, so it's in front of the wheel.

Please be warned it can make driving dangerous....ask me how I know ;)

The oil cooler is like a small radiator (about 1/4 size) and you need to remove the bumper ot get at it. But, if it's just the connections you can reach to tighten them from underneath. It may be the pipes which connect at the cooler and go to the engine, again there are connectors before the pipe which goes into the engine.

Hope this helps.....I had to bodge together some pipes and make my own connections with 15mm couplings!!! Still bloody leaks and is another job on the list :D

wrinx

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wrinx, that's a great help! I've got to drive home tonight down the A38 to derby so fingers crossed! I'll check it out tomorrow but that definately sounds like the problem.

thanks for your advice on the thermostat by the way, got that sorted!
At least now I have a 'warm' leaky car! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Could be the propshaft oil seal too, if you have oil inside the wheel. The driveshaft will be be oily all the way up to the leaking seal (under a gaitor) if it's that one.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, made it home in one piece! as for the car, not quite sure what to do now! she's getting on a bit (155,000 miles) I'm no expert, so i'm at the mercy of the mechanic really! If the bumper needs to come off that's got to be 1 hour off, 1 hour on before they even start (£90-£100).
They car is suffering from a pretty severe knocking noise when decelerating and turning to the right too!
The MOT is due in March, I think my best option is to have a pre-MOT check done and if it fails i fear it may be the end for her. I really hope not cos i've had 4 fabulous (if a little costly) years with her and with widebody V6's being so rare it seems such a shame!
But with a 7 month old baby and an ever decreasing bank balance it seems i'm resigned to losing her....

W

·
0 Posts
pipadip said:
They car is suffering from a pretty severe knocking noise when decelerating and turning to the right too!
That could be a CV joint or driveshaft....did it appear at the same time as the oil leak?

wrinx

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Fix the *****! :rant:

;)

Seriously, any reasonable mechanic should be up to this kind of repair, so shop around. Unbolting bumpers and fixing unions isn't going to require "brand-specific" skill. Same with fixing CV joints/driveshaft seals. They're pretty "universal".

Ralf S.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha Ha, Nice one Ralf! :lol: :lol: The ***** will be fixed!
I guess i was just on a bit of a downer when i wrote that thread...
Got someone looking at it today.
The knocking started about 6 months ago, someone looked at it but couldn't identify what it was, since then its gradually got worse.
The oil leak just started the other day.
Hopefully by the end of today i should have some idea of how bad it is.
Does anyone know where is the cheapest place to get front brake pads for a 155 V6? ;)

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Good lad!

I'm guessing that propshaft seal and a knackered CV joint... it's all in the same place, so not tooooo much dismantling to be done and it's fairly the same as most front-wheel-drivers, so plenty of choice who can fix it.

Brakes - the cooking Ferodo are pretty good. They're about £50-60 a set I think. You need FDB768s.

Freddie Frodo does a high-speed pad in their "DS2500" range - these pads are a heap more expensive (£100) but better if you do a lot of hard use. The number for these for your Girling calipers is FCP565H.

eBay tends to have a heap of OMP pads for sale at the moment. I think the consensus is they have good bite but wear quite quickly. Still.. they're about £25..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out it's the 'feed' pipe to the oil cooler, it's perished and cracked where it joins the elbow!
Got to source a replacement pipe now.
Once she's running soundly again will have to get 'knocking' checked out then new pads, oil & filter and cross my fingers for MOT in March! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
The Wrinkly one was right...

I'l have to look at mine now... :rolleyes: didn't realise it was a possible trouble spot..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
That's the trouble with 155s in the UK - it's such a minority interest that nobody does aftermarket parts for anything remotely obscure...
:(

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts