Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.6 16v 1997. I have oil leaking into the cooling system. Creamy soup in the expansion tank.
had a total rebuild done on the engine about 20,000km ago (never been the same since) Over the past year: variator, belts, 16 new valves, and 2 head gaskets. I now use about 1litre of oil every 4-500 km 'bloody expensive running costs'
Any Ideas :confused: The head was skimmed during the rebuild.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, just to add. It seems to be really underpowered now at low revs. Any ideas would be really helpfull
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,236 Posts
Yeah .. head gasket is M.I.A. It sounds like the dudes who rebuilt it didn't do it properly. I'd take it apart again sharpish, to see what they didn't do right.

Ralf S.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ralf S. said:
Yeah .. head gasket is M.I.A. It sounds like the dudes who rebuilt it didn't do it properly. I'd take it apart again sharpish, to see what they didn't do right.

Ralf S.
Gead gasket changed twice. first by Alfa Mechanic then when changing all valves :confused:
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say head gasket too. Although...........................

.................doesn't the 16v have a funky oil cooler which is cooled by water or something, unlike the 8v and V6 which uses a small radiator. I've heard of the 16v doodahs corroding inside and the oil and water then mixing.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
If it does , that is a possibilty. I had a mk11 Golf that suddenly developed mayonnaise in the water header tank and that was exactly what had happened. Does the 155 2.0 16v have an oil cooler?
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muz said:
If it does , that is a possibilty. I had a mk11 Golf that suddenly developed mayonnaise in the water header tank and that was exactly what had happened. Does the 155 2.0 16v have an oil cooler?
Good Idea I will have a look.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 16v does have an oil cooler, but it's not the "standard" setup of a small radiator type thingy that the 8v and V6 has. I now remember a couple of years ago, a 16v owner having their "cooler" corrode inside and then mixing the oil and water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
if its the head gasket shouldn't it smoke a hell of alot, my mates did, he had the head skimmed and new gaskets all round, but a short while later it went again, becauce he was given the wrong head settings by one alfa garage, as i think you ment to lossen and retighten them after so many miles as said by another alfa garage!! but i'd get it checked out pretty quick cos my mates engine had a split liner for it, the oil cooler does sound like the prob
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jama665 said:
if its the head gasket shouldn't it smoke a hell of alot, my mates did, he had the head skimmed and new gaskets all round, but a short while later it went again, becauce he was given the wrong head settings by one alfa garage, as i think you ment to lossen and retighten them after so many miles as said by another alfa garage!! but i'd get it checked out pretty quick cos my mates engine had a split liner for it, the oil cooler does sound like the prob
THE COOLER IS FU (broken). I'm a happy man.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
marlon said:
I'm glad :) well sort of....you know what I mean ;)
I thought is was good news but he told be I may need a new head as looks as if it is cracked.
Why do I love her so much?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top