Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an oil leak on my 97 2.0 Widebody somewhere around where the intake manifold attaches to the engine. At first, I thought it was the CAM cover (actually, thought it was the head gasket as it has leaked down). The cover has been resealed but it's still leaking. It only seems to leak when the car is in motion.

Any ideas?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Variator solenoid gasket worn.
It is located between cylinder 1 and 2 to the back of the cylinder head with a multiplug connected to it. Held in by 2 torx stud I think. Easy job to do, gasket probably costs a few pence.
Hope this is what it is. See the technical article re changing the cam belt there is a mention of this in there I think.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jimmy I'm sure the cam cover has to come off to replace the gasket, and if you take the cam cover off be very careful not to overtighten the back right (gearbox end) and front right cover bolts as the cover can break. :D :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I'll have a look this weekend. Is the gasket a generic part and can I get it from a motor factor? Would instant gasket do?

The alfa155.com site seems to be down at the moment, any idea when it might be back up.

Jimmy

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cam cover gaskets are only about a fiver from the main dealer

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a look at the technical article. Is the worn bore the only reason for this oil leak as the engine has just recently been reconditioned.

Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't stock 155 parts anymore. So I'll have to use the liquid stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts