Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2015 Guilietta Quadrifoglio and have an oil leak on the right hand side of the engine. Looking for advice on what it might be?

·
Registered
41,860 Posts
Have a look underneath, you may need to remove the undertray. There are not really any common leak points, but it could be either coming from the top and running down or leaking from the bottom.

It is hard to say without looking for sure. You can also try cleaning the oil off with brake cleaner, as it will make it easier to see where it is originating from.

Also smell the oil, it will tell you if it is engine or gearbox oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a look underneath, you may need to remove the undertray. There are not really any common leak points, but it could be either coming from the top and running down or leaking from the bottom.

It is hard to say without looking for sure. You can also try cleaning the oil off with brake cleaner, as it will make it easier to see where it is originating from.

Also smell the oil, it will tell you if it is engine or gearbox oil.
Thank you, will have a go and let you know the results

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Shouldn’t do although when mine was leaking it must have been like it for a while as a couple of coolant hoses had gone soft from oil contamination.
What coolant issue are you having?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have around a 30-40 minute drive home, parked the car up and the coolant looked quite low and I had noticed a fairly substantial amount of fluid underneath the car when I had pulled away

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
See if it is coming from the gearbox breather. At the front and there’s a metal cap about 12-14 mm dia.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have around a 30-40 minute drive home, parked the car up and the coolant looked quite low and I had noticed a fairly substantial amount of fluid underneath the car when I had pulled away
Ok, if you're losing coolant like that you need to find the source fairly promptly and have it repaired. First place to look is the radiator and the main coolant hoses connected to it, you may need to get the car up on jacks/hoist and remove the front undertray to see if there is leakage from the bottom of the radiator.

Next place to look is the heater hoses that come out of the firewall, one goes to the thermostat on the right side of the engine (facing engine bay) and the other runs along the back of the engine. these have plastic quick connector fittings that sometimes fracture and leak.

Also check out the Thermostat itself, these can sometimes leak as well. At least with red coolant it's a lot easier to see the leaks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, if you're losing coolant like that you need to find the source fairly promptly and have it repaired. First place to look is the radiator and the main coolant hoses connected to it, you may need to get the car up on jacks/hoist and remove the front undertray to see if there is leakage from the bottom of the radiator.

Next place to look is the heater hoses that come out of the firewall, one goes to the thermostat on the right side of the engine (facing engine bay) and the other runs along the back of the engine. these have plastic quick connector fittings that sometimes fracture and leak.

Also check out the Thermostat itself, these can sometimes leak as well. At least with red coolant it's a lot easier to see the leaks.
Thank you, will get that checked asap

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Top of radiator, No. 5 in the diagram and behind engine on a pipe. Look for round plastic item with a large cross head. Make sure you don’t over tighten as they easily break. May look like the one in the photo.

Attachments

Reactions: wbanham
1 - 20 of 28 Posts