Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've noticed a small(ish) but consistant amount of oil under the car. The oil lands about 6 to 8 inches directly across from the centre of the passenger side wheel (maybe an inch or 2 back from the centre). Any idea if theres a usual culprit to start with?

In general its a well looked after car, so its not got a whole load of issues (i hope!).

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, I've noticed a small(ish) but consistant amount of oil under the car. The oil lands about 6 to 8 inches directly across from the centre of the passenger side wheel (maybe an inch or 2 back from the centre). Any idea if theres a usual culprit to start with?

In general its a well looked after car, so its not got a whole load of issues (i hope!).

Thanks
Hi! Did you check the integrity of CV joint rubber cap?

Inviato dal mio SM-G970F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Gearbox oil has a sulfurous smell, might be a good idea to check the gearbox oil level too. Power steering pipes run over the gearbox, these can corrode and leak.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Hi Marc,

if it is gearbox oil, this may help. The 3.2 Busso has the same 6-speed gearbox than my 3.0:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody so far.
I,ll get the car out the garage and have a more thorough look underneath. In the meantime a few more facts:
1) there doesnt appear to be any unusual noises from the gear box. And changes are good and smooth.
2) no knocking when turning left or right. Will have to double check if there is when its on full lock.
3) oil that is leaking (and left on garage floor) is very clean (looks fresh) if that helps?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also its a 3.2, but in a phase 2....which obviously had a 3.0 in when new. Engine was replaced to a 3.2 about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so i've had a little check around the car.
Gear box oil level is low, just below minimum.
The CV joints seem to have lots of horrible dirty old oil over the rubber gaters. Left is worse than the right. When steering is on full lock and turning left, there is a horrible grinding noise....but only on full lock.

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The cv joints are packed with grease. That grease is sticky and should not drip down onto the floor. So it must be oil.

Or is it brake fluid? Have you checked the corresponding brake line/hose? What about brake fluid level?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1) Its definately oil. The oil thats on the floor has got that thick oil consistancy, and TBH looks fresh, almost a straight from the bottle look...not dirty.

2) any thoughts on the grinding when on full left lock?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Marc,

I also took SAE 75W-80 (Motylgear 75W-80). Its writtten in the manual, the oil must be compliant to API GL-4/GL-5 and MIL-L-2105D.

I topped my 166 gear box up with a small hose from above. But I now think, it's better to access the dip stick from behind the left front wheel. But in case of the 916 I have no clue....

If take out the dipstick please check the rubber material if its gone hard and if it slides out very easily. It should fit tight, otherwise it will leak at higher speeds.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Best get a long tube, and a small funnel. One end of tube in gear box dip stick hole and the other end insert funnel. Cable tie funnel around headlight aperture with bonnet open and keep topping up funnel with the gearbox oil. Make sure gearbox oil is nice and warm so it flows into gearbox freely. Once topped up, drive for a few miles to get to normal operating temp and then check level again and to up if required. Need patience. ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts