Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi alfa owners members,
I have a 4 year, 108000 km (60k something miles) 156 2.0 JTS that is giving me new problems. Yesterday, when driving, there was a sudden decrease in resistance of the clutch pedal and I could not clutch/unclutch. I stopped and noticed that there was some fluid leaking from underneath the engine. I reckon it was clutch or gearbox oil. The car was towed to the nearest alfa garage and now they are saying there's a problem with the clutch/gearbox oil pump (?) and that they have to dismount the clutch to see what's the problem. I was hoping of something more simple, and less costly, repair, like some fractured oil pipe or loose connection. I must add that there were no previous symptoms and find it difficult to understand how some apparently simple problem can turn out to be so complex and prospectively costly. I would appreciate if I could get some mechanical advice as to what may be the problem.
One final word - I am portuguese, living in Portugal and for all of those in the UK that complain about excessive repair cost and duration, please reconsider. It´s much worst down here.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Yep, sounds like the clutch slave cylinder.

It is a gearbox out job...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both sa155ae and David C. Your (worst) predictions have been confirmed. I cannot confirm the technical name, but from the description that they have given me at the garage it could be this "slave clutch cylinder" (I only know that it's a device inside the gearbox that, similarly to another one existing below the clutch pedal, makes for the pressure on the clutch pedal). Meanwhile they have disassembled the clutch and they're saying that it's a bit worn out and it should be better to replace it if I am to keep this car for some time, because the most expensive task (disassembling the gearbox) is already done. The bill keeps raising...

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Meanwhile they have disassembled the clutch and they're saying that it's a bit worn out and it should be better to replace it if I am to keep this car for some time, because the most expensive task (disassembling the gearbox) is already done. The bill keeps raising...
It is recommended to replace the clutch if the gearbox is removed for another reason.

With a clutch replacement, the big expense is the labour. The cost of the clutch itself is tiny in comparison!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
How long is a average clutch expectancy?

My car has done 54K and the engine is coming out and I'm considering either to replace slave cylinder or get clutch kit. Is it worth doing it because the garage thats doing the job said it's right for 90K

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi alfa owners members,
I have a 4 year, 108000 km (60k something miles) 156 2.0 JTS that is giving me new problems. Yesterday, when driving, there was a sudden decrease in resistance of the clutch pedal and I could not clutch/unclutch. I stopped and noticed that there was some fluid leaking from underneath the engine. I reckon it was clutch or gearbox oil. The car was towed to the nearest alfa garage and now they are saying there's a problem with the clutch/gearbox oil pump (?) and that they have to dismount the clutch to see what's the problem. I was hoping of something more simple, and less costly, repair, like some fractured oil pipe or loose connection. I must add that there were no previous symptoms and find it difficult to understand how some apparently simple problem can turn out to be so complex and prospectively costly. I would appreciate if I could get some mechanical advice as to what may be the problem.
One final word - I am portuguese, living in Portugal and for all of those in the UK that complain about excessive repair cost and duration, please reconsider. It´s much worst down here.
Amigo estas enganado com o custo de manutencao no Reino Unido, olha que aqui e bem mais caro do que em Portugal £70 libras por hora de mao de obra na Alfa ca e o minimo que te cobram! Servicing in the Uk is by far the most expensive in Europe have checked prices all over europe and the UK remains the most expensive of all! My clutch has played up since the car had 6000 miles still works but the day it packs up I'll have Alfa UK for breakfast because it's been leaking oil onto the gearbox since new and I have the Alfa invoices stating no defects found when it clearly has an intermitent juddering issue in first from brand new! I'll wait for it to fail and then have words with customer services! Good luck with your bill!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amigo (também). Tens toda a razão. Já me começo a sentir relativamente feliz. O orçamento para substituir o "clutch slave cylinder" e embraiagem ronda os 700 euros numa oficina da alfa. Now in a language that everyone can understands - awkwardly, I'm feeling more satisfied. The estimate for salve clutch cylinder and clutch disk replacement is around 700 euro (labour cost of 45 euro/hour). So, for all of you guys that complain about excessive repair bills in the UK (and elsewhere), it could just be worth a visit to a licensed portuguese garage, provided that the "machina" is in condition to do the trip. And, more, you could relax and wait in the sun... Thanks to those that easened my difficult and uncertain moments. I'm am now much more released about the prospects facing my Alfa.

Amigo estas enganado com o custo de manutencao no Reino Unido, olha que aqui e bem mais caro do que em Portugal £70 libras por hora de mao de obra na Alfa ca e o minimo que te cobram! Servicing in the Uk is by far the most expensive in Europe have checked prices all over europe and the UK remains the most expensive of all! My clutch has played up since the car had 6000 miles still works but the day it packs up I'll have Alfa UK for breakfast because it's been leaking oil onto the gearbox since new and I have the Alfa invoices stating no defects found when it clearly has an intermitent juddering issue in first from brand new! I'll wait for it to fail and then have words with customer services! Good luck with your bill!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Amigo (também). Tens toda a razão. Já me começo a sentir relativamente feliz. O orçamento para substituir o "clutch slave cylinder" e embraiagem ronda os 700 euros numa oficina da alfa. Now in a language that everyone can understands - awkwardly, I'm feeling more satisfied. The estimate for salve clutch cylinder and clutch disk replacement is around 700 euro (labour cost of 45 euro/hour). So, for all of you guys that complain about excessive repair bills in the UK (and elsewhere), it could just be worth a visit to a licensed portuguese garage, provided that the "machina" is in condition to do the trip. And, more, you could relax and wait in the sun... Thanks to those that easened my difficult and uncertain moments. I'm am now much more released about the prospects facing my Alfa.
Sorte teres teclado Portugues, spre ajuda com a pontuacao! :) I am very happy that you have sorted your ordeal out and that you are a happy Alfista again! I get to go to Portugal at least 3 times a month and very much enjoy the sun, although I couldn't think of anything worse than driving to Portugal done it through both Portsmouth to Bilbao and from Dover-Calais to Portugal it's one hell of a drive giving you thoughts of suicide! I hope your Alfa continues to give you many happy and pleasurable miles of motoring! Once in a while it's their way to attract attention! One must love them! Take care,
Alan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts