Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

Have a small oil leak from the sump plug on my 156. Have tried to tighten it but the thread is stripped. Garage down the road suggested helicoil for £90. This seems expensive but I know very little about them. Swapping the sump for a good s/h one is something I'd rather not get involved with (oil, oil and more oil.)

Any suggestions? Has anyone perhaps had a helicoil done before or even done one themselves? I know the 156 threads are prone to this.

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Used to be able to hire the kits once upon a time. If you can raise her safely up, properly supported, and have a good eye for the straight and level, ream out, re-tap, insert heli with the key, snap tail off as per instructions, job done. Ask around at the hire shops.:):

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice on this. £50 sounds more reasonable to me. I can't see where all the labour is for ninety quid! I don't think I'll do it myself. I've just done a cambelt and gasket on it but anything under the car is totally unappealing! Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never had that problem fortunately, in four years of 147 ownership, or so. Last time I 'Helicoiled' It was a stripped sparking plug thread on a 2.4 Mk.I Jag, and that was so far back, I don't like remembering it!:D
The repair was totally effective,.... it was the dent in the bonnet that was more difficult!:):

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.