Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a 2003 156GTA which looks in great condition and has only done about 55,000kms.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is that the most recent service receipt notes "Oil leak at rear crankshaft seal area". Is this anything to be worried about? Any idea of the likely cost to fix it?

The current owner obviously looks after the car and says the leak was described to him as being minor and not worth looking at until some other work is needed in the future, eg clutch.

Any advice gratefully received...

Cheers

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is the seal that is most likely to be leaking. Most do after a few years and yes, it might be OK to leave it until the gearbox comes off to do the clutch. This is how mine looked after around 80K miles. Or, if you intend to keep the car for a few years and the price is right, just do the clutch now and have the seal changed. The cost to fix it is the same as the cost to change the clutch, since you would be mad not to do both the clutch and the crank seal at the same time.

As far as I know, these seals do not tend to fail catastrophically.

To answer your question, what the seller has told you does not appear unreasonable.

Welcome to the site.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for such a quick reply stooge166. Clutch felt fine when I drove it so probably not necessary to change quite yet, especially if the leak stays small. Just out of interest, how much would it be to have the clutch changed in your experience? Pounds is fine, I'll do the conversion to NZD!

C

·
0 Posts
If there is a major problem with the crank seal, you'll have to take the sump off too.

It's more likely dribbled down from the oil filler hole due to careless topping up though. I've never seen one fail to a degree where it's a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 147 GTA and I've noticed evidence of a slight oil leak coming from possibly this location (rear crankshaft seal). Oil has dripped down and burnt onto the exhaust pipe (but no further).

When the crankshaft seal leaks does the oil drip to the exhaust pipe?

The car has only done 47,000 km with a Q2 fitted.

Thanks, Mark

C

·
0 Posts
I have a 147 GTA and I've noticed evidence of a slight oil leak coming from possibly this location (rear crankshaft seal). Oil has dripped down and burnt onto the exhaust pipe (but no further).

When the crankshaft seal leaks does the oil drip to the exhaust pipe?

The car has only done 47,000 km with a Q2 fitted.

Thanks, Mark

Are you sure it's engine oil? Why did you have the Q2 fitted? As a precaution or because the diff spat it's dummy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts