Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 180 cv diesel engine built on Nov/2017 and while checking the air filter condition, I've noticed that there is oil in the tube right after the air filter housing.
It's pretty similar to this thread from another forum: https://www.alfisti.net/alfa-forum/alfa-giulia-952-stelvio-949/125390-giulia-l-ansaugung-2.html

What I'm trying to know is exactly what part has been changed and if there is a document from Alfa stating that this part needs replacement.
The 2nd service is near, so I'll talk with the workshop about this.

Do any of you know something about this?
@MacGeek, do you know somthing about this?

Thank you.
Regards,
NSilva

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
A bit of oil in the intake manifold can be normal. The crankcase vent connects to the inlet manifold, so that any oil vapour is not released to the atmosphere but instead it is sucked into the combustion chamber and burnt under catalysed conditions.

If the oil mist is heavy it can condense out to form pools of oil and that can drip downhill... but I don't know the layout in a Giulia so it might or might not make sense when you look at the car.

Anyway, if you keep the oil level at 80% on the dipstick, you'll get less oil in the manifold.

My old Stilo JTD was over-filled with oil when I got it and the inside of my manifold made Saudi Arabia jealous. :D Since I removed it and used a lower oil level, the problem has virtually disappeared (although there is always some oil in there).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your answer.
I know that a bit of oil in this tube is normal, however my air filter has a few cms black because of the oil.
I'll attach two images.

But since the 2nd service is near, I'll about this with the dealer.
I’ve just discovered the same issue with my 2.2 Giulia diesel, 2017. Filter isn’t as bad as your photos but my servicing garage are concerned there could be turbo issues.

Interested to know what your dealer said or did.

·
Registered
886 Posts
On the german forum alfisti.net linked above they mention the solution to the issue - some part seems to be modified to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, when I took the car to the second service, I've mentioned this to the recepcionist but nobody said anything to me.
I've asked to replace the air filter and it was replaced but no comment about this... Once again the great (not) service that we have and that most of the times gives the brand a bad name...

I've seen that soluton but no specific part is mentioned if I recall correctly.

If someone figures it out while servicing, please post it here for future reference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lizard, I Google Translated most of that discussion from German. The interesting part said:

“The problem of oil in the air filter is finally solved. It comes from the oil centrifuge, which has been replaced by a new model. The first diesels are apparently all affected. But the replacement of the part is not systematic because if you don’t open the air filter you won’t notice anything but the filter is gradually clogging and it is not good.”

So I expect a new model of oil pump is available that might resolve this.

I kept the old filter as evidence of the problem. Now to the dealer to see what they say. That’ll be a few days but I’ll post an update when I have something share. Warranty expires soon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
NSilva, sounds like your dealer is like many, useless.
Thanks for sharing you experience.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
This is typical of Alfa. They don't seem to fix known issues with revised parts unless people push for it. Windscreen scuttle, boot lid stops, dump solenoid harness on early QF are examples.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RHC, thanks for the translation.

My warranty expired last November but I'm considering contacting Alfa directly with my photos attached and that forum link to see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everybody , why no one try to ask "Smarth" ( the guy from Alfisti.net) to share more info about this part.?
As i see he is the only one who know the answer. The problem is only in 2016/2017 so after that (2018) the Alfa Romeo put "the NEW part" but they obviously don't wanna talk about that . The other think i am trying to do is to find VIN number from 2018 and download the Service manual and compare it with this from 2017. Then may be we can see wich part is with changed number. I am 70% sure that the problem is in this PCV valve, but i should compare these parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi again everybody, so may be we are near to solve this issue. " Speedy155V6" from (Alfisti.net) , share opinion that may be this is the problem part - Oil Segregator (centrifugal) OEM Item number : 46338173. I think that he is right but i am not sure if this is New ( Replaced) part or the same as ours. So follow the image :

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
hi again everybody, so may be we are near to solve this issue. " Speedy155V6" from (Alfisti.net) , share opinion that may be this is the problem part - Oil Segregator (centrifugal) OEM Item number : 46338173. I think that he is right but i am not sure if this is New ( Replaced) part or the same as ours. So follow the image :

View attachment 933842
Good find.
I had emailed shop4parts for a price for the part aswell. It's £32.66 plus vat.

It mentions on that site you found "to be replaced by timing belt change " so maybe we can't get to the part without removing the timing belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good find.

It mentions on that site you found "to be replaced by timing belt change " so maybe we can't get to the part without removing the timing belt.
Good find.

yea, we should remove timing belt. Mine is almost 50 000 km, so i will replace it. I forgot to mentioned that together with Oil Segregator you should buy and 3 more Seals. First one is O-ring seal, then middle seal and last is cover Seal.

First O-ring seal to cover of the segregator - Part Number 55273899
Middle seal to cover of the segregator - Part Number 55273898
Third seal to cover of the segregator - Part Number 55266684

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good to know thank you.
Is the belt interval 60k miles or 5 years

·
Registered
222 Posts
in Manual is sad "Max. 100 000km or 5 years" or in heavy conditions ( cold climates, urban driving, long periods of idling) 60 000 km. or every 3 years. So together with timing belt Kit i think we should replace and Water pump.
Thanks. My driving is mainly motorway so I'll do mine at 100k
Belt kit , water pump & segregator and seals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts