Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have an unusual thing happening to my JTD.
I receive a notification on the LCD Display saying "Oil lever low - go to your dealer". I check the oil level and all is fine.

how much oils should a 2.4 JTD hold? or is there a sensor that has died?

it doesn't always tell me every time that I need to go to my dealer, and other times it tells me I have 3/4 oil full.

Th other thing that is sounding really rough, is when I open the doors, they sound really rough and rather rusty. I have used some WD40 and grease to try and make them sound better, but I wonder if I should strip the door down and oil them form the inside? or do I just need to buy new door straps?

Any advice on the above would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Have you checked the oil on your dipstick? would start there and not rely on the dash warning as they can be inaccurate, and even if its showing 3/4 full then it should be topped up.
Doors will be the check straps, there is a recent thread about this, not a hard job to change them and will stop the noise.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Doors - I had a 'Clack Clack' opening and closing, drivers door also squeaked.

The cure, one new door strap (£40), grease the hinges with white lithium grease, also a small amount of grease on the rubber between the wing and the door near the wing mirror. The door was just catching and rubbing the rubber which resulted in an annoying squeak.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have the same sensor message.
There is a sender unit in the sump .

I have just bypassed the sensor now reads full all the time and I do a weekly manual check on the dipstick

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Some electrics

Small straight terminal
Short length of wire
1.6 ohm resistor solderd in to the middle

Place the two ends of the wire in the connector and it fools the sensor in to a full reading.

Only a temp fix till I get a new sensor which is around £35 dealer only part

·
Registered
64 Posts
Doors - I had a 'Clack Clack' opening and closing, drivers door also squeaked.

The cure, one new door strap (£40), grease the hinges with white lithium grease, also a small amount of grease on the rubber between the wing and the door near the wing mirror. The door was just catching and rubbing the rubber which resulted in an annoying squeak.
Lithium grease works really well! I used it by chance on my old Rover 600 rear door as I had a tube kicking around after sorting out a creaky MTB seatpost.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Have you checked the oil on your dipstick? would start there and not rely on the dash warning as they can be inaccurate, and even if its showing 3/4 full then it should be topped up.
Doors will be the check straps, there is a recent thread about this, not a hard job to change them and will stop the noise.
surely anywhere between min and max is fine? why 3/4?

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The 2.4 runs with 5.5 litres of oil, so if your running it low constantly that is up to 1 litre (min mark) that isn't in your engine, thats just below 20% of it's optimum capacity so 20% of your engine hasn't got as much oil as it needs, that could be your turbo running dry or your crank wearing itself away slowly so why not top it up?.
The 3/4 was in reference to the comment from the OP about what his dash display was telling him.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The 2.4 runs with 5.5 litres of oil, so if your running it low constantly that is up to 1 litre (min mark) that isn't in your engine, thats just below 20% of it's optimum capacity so 20% of your engine hasn't got as much oil as it needs, that could be your turbo running dry or your crank wearing itself away slowly so why not top it up?.
The 3/4 was in reference to the comment from the OP about what his dash display was telling him.
20% of my engine hasn't got as much oil as it needs? That's not right. The minimum oil level is exactly that, the minimum required to give my engine as much as it needs. Adding more just acts as a reservoir surely? Having more oil in it might mean the oil last longer as there's more of it to "spoil", but surely no more?

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Think maybe you need to understand where the oil is first!!!

At any given time not all of the oil is being pushed around the engine, a good proportion of it is sat in the sump, this is picked up by the oil pump and forced around d the engine under pressure.
So long as it is between the min and max you won't do any damage to the engine at all

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I do understand where the oil is, but for the sake of checking it and topping it up once a week, especially given the problem the op was having why would you not top it up?
Would you run it constantly just above the minimum mark as its still within the limit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I do understand where the oil is, but for the sake of checking it and topping it up once a week, especially given the problem the op was having why would you not top it up?
Would you run it constantly just above the minimum mark as its still within the limit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i wouldn't run it "constantly just above the minimum mark", else when it used a little oil it would then be under, this isn't what I said so why undermine it? I would run it within its specified parameters, if it gets a bit low I'll top it up, but I'm not going to ensure it's definitely AT LEAST 3/4 full all the time because, frankly, it's just b0110cks.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Thats fair enough, I wasn't trying to undermine what you at all, but we obviously have different views on the subject which is fair enough.
The 3/4 bit came from the op having a warning on his dash telling him to go to the dealers so I said to top it up which I would do as a matter of course, and it may have stopped his fault in to the bargain.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for you help on this.

I wasnt aware that the engine used 5.5 litres of oil., I have since drained the oil and relpaced with 5.5 now and it is all good

Thanks again for your help...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts