Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't identify my source of this information other than to say that they are reputable and reliable, and it involves an email from Alfa's Tech department to the dealer network............... but you'll probably have a good idea when I say that I was purchasing a couple of bottles of Selenia engine oil at the time.

2 bottles of the golden liquid were placed on the counter and I happened to mention that it was 1 each (as a top-up spare) for our Giulietta MultiAir and 159 1750TBi. A frown immediately appeared the face of the person serving me and they proceeded to search through an email list on their VDU, followed by a telephone call to another location.

They then announced that they were checking that it was OK to give me this oil for the 159 as there had been a recent email telling them that, with immediate effect, they had to stop using Selenia STAR in the 1750 engine but it's still OK for the 1.4MA, :confused:. There is a replacement spec' oil which must now be used but they didn't yet have it in stock so he couldn't enlighten me as to what the difference is, :(. They have however promised to let me know as soon as they've had a chance to do some further 'digging', :thumbs:. Meantime, on the basis that that's what is already in the 1750's sump following its last service, I was 'permitted' to purchase both bottles of STAR.

They obviously had to be careful in what they were divulging to me and I didn't want to get them into any sort of grief but I did quiz a little, :rolleyes:.

Q. So is this current oil causing any problems with the 1750?
A. Possibly
Q. So are we talking about things like turbo failures? (having just suffered one myself 10 days after the warranty expired, :cry: :mad:)
A. Maybe

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch this space for any further developments.

·
Registered
33,712 Posts
That's scary. Wait till these engines get into the "lots of car for your money" market and even the Star oil is too much for the budget or the correct oil is charged for but not used.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
They then announced that they were checking that it was OK to give me this oil for the 159 as there had been a recent email telling them that, with immediate effect, they had to stop using Selenia STAR in the 1750 engine but it's still OK for the 1.4MA, :confused:.
The 1.4MA oil IS NOT "Selenia StAR", it is "Selenia StAR PE"

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1.4MA oil IS NOT "Selenia StAR", it is "Selenia StAR PE"
The 'Pure Energy' variant was what I got - I forgot that the 'standard' version of STAR might still be obtained by some, as my source no longer offers it unless you specifically request it. Thanks for clarifying, :thumbs:.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
The normal "StAR" is the oil for all the other Petrol 159........ so I wonder what they are using in those if they don't stock it...???

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
The FL Selenia website now has "SELENIA SPORT POWER 5W40" for the 1750TBi, but no actual info on it...

·
Vendor
45,457 Posts
Instant breach of warranty requirements then...
Does that surprise you? We had a 2.0 JTS come into us making some funny engine noises (turned out to have a worn cam) a month or so ago, turned out the last garage to have serviced it which was a Fiat main agent had used 5w30! I don't even know what they were doing with 5w30 as I can't think of any FPT engines that use it.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Does that surprise you? We had a 2.0 JTS come into us making some funny engine noises (turned out to have a worn cam) a month or so ago, turned out the last garage to have serviced it which was a Fiat main agent had used 5w30! I don't even know what they were doing with 5w30 as I can't think of any FPT engines that use it.
Sadly doesn't surprise me.
There was a GTA on here several years ago that a dealer in SPAIN put 5W30 in...!!
As for 5W30 in FPT engines now, the current/recent Diesels use it (except for the 2.4), don't think any Petrols do though.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
JTD uses it in the giulietta

EDIT: David C already answered that I see.

Although 5w-30 is recommended (more for MPG reasons than anything else I believe) I'll stick to 5w-40 myself

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Although 5w-30 is recommended (more for MPG reasons than anything else I believe) I'll stick to 5w-40 myself
The thin oils help with emissions too, especially cold start emissions and any oil in the combustion chamber burns off much quicker.
None of those are real plus-points to the end user/owner though!

·
Registered
213 Posts
The FL Selenia website now has "SELENIA SPORT POWER 5W40" for the 1750TBi, but no actual info on it...
"...it prevents deposits on the turbine to achieve the utmost performance in total safety."

I want so much to believe that Selenia is good enough for my engine but the voices are telling me to change it for... they didn't say it yet :lol:

PETRONAS Lubricants International - Products - Selenia

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
"...it prevents deposits on the turbine to achieve the utmost performance in total safety."

I want so much to believe that Selenia is good enough for my engine but the voices are telling me to change it for... they didn't say it yet :lol:

PETRONAS Lubricants International - Products - Selenia
That is "Selenia Sport 5W40" though, which has been around for some time, not "Selenia Sport Power 5W40".

·
Registered
213 Posts
True that David C... my bad
Just checked my last invoice and the dealer (Palmers Hemel Hemstead) put Selenia K Pure 5W40 oil *it doesn't say STAR* so i don't know if Selenia changed oil name or just the dealer didn't put a whole name on the invoice (September last year) so I am confused a bit with the names now.

My previous two Alfas never used Selenia oils. I used Castrol Magnatec for 156 T.Spark and Valvoline for 166 3.0 and never had any oil related problems with these engines.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
True that David C... my bad
Just checked my last invoice and the dealer (Palmers Hemel Hemstead) put Selenia K Pure 5W40 oil *it doesn't say STAR* so i don't know if Selenia changed oil name or just the dealer didn't put a whole name on the invoice (September last year) so I am confused a bit with the names now.
Selenia have two oils with the same ACEA C3 spec, one Alfa branded (Selenia StAR PE) and the other without the Alfa branding (Selenia K Pure Energy).

Selenia "K" is the unbranded version of "StAR" as well.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts