Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi the only oil recommended by Alfa is 5W40 ACEA C3 Selena Star PE. Are there any options for top up when this is unavailable? Many thanks

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Many MANY options. (quite a few threads on it too...!!)
The key is it being ACEA C3 spec 5W40.

Castrol do three different ACEA C3 5W40, Motul also do three, Fuchs do one and Gulf too.

So plenty of choice, even from your local Halfords.
This should give you an idea too (but ignore the 5W30): ACEA C3

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i just bought the reccomended oil.

no point in risking it for the extra couple of quid the reccomended oil costs over halfords stuff.

you can order it easy online

·
Registered
320 Posts
Recently I had my ex-500 and a Mito MJ serviced in 2 'Alfa' garages and there were using their 'own' oil. The '500' garage used a Castrol of the correct spec ACEA C3 5w40 and the 'Mito' garage used a 'Fiat' oil of the correct spec (think it was 5W30 C2 spec for the diesel). I asked the first garage to use Selenia KPE 5w40 and paid dearly for it since it was ordered in 1L containers.

It is recommended that if you are topping up to use the exact same oil but I'd imagine you would just get away with the just the right spec if your car was due in for a service - this is supposedly to avoid chemical imbalance ?

Looking at the service intervals for the Mito they appear to be the standard Fiat servicing of 18K or 2 years or if you are doing a lot of town driving or under 6K miles p.a. then a oil / oil filter change is needed. The same appears to be the case with the Alfa 155. This surprises me because the Turbo on the Mito 155 is the same as the A500 which had it's service interval reduced from 18K to 12K and in the case of the esseesse (160bhp) reduced from 9k to 6K and this uses a thicker Abarth oil 10w50 ACEA C3. On the esseesse model boost is running at 1.2 bar on the IHI RH3 VL37 so the mito 155 is probably running between 1.0-1.1 bar given that the standard A500 (outputs 145bhp advertised at 135bhp) is at 0.9 bar.

So are the Alfa 155 drivers / owners stucking to the service schedule or are you changing your oil more regularly ? Are any of you running the Abarth oil e.g. during the summer or if they have had their 155 re-mapped / TMC'd ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts