Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i habe a 156 t spark sportwagon. its a little noisy and i was thinking of changing the oil. i have used castrol 10/40 high mileage oil in previous cars to good effect. can anyone tell me if it would be ok in the alfa?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That oil will be just fine.

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
You need to check the oil every week and top up if required, don't forget, these engines burn oil and don't like being run low - they will start to knock if run low on oil.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Check what oil you are buying.
"Castrol GTX High Mileage" is a 15W40, so I wouldn't use that at all.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Valvoline Max Life, in our banger at 110,000 kept her running fine.:): The final drive in the transmission clapped finally, but the motor still ran well?:):

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the key is to just use a good quality oil of the correct spec and change it and the oil filter regularly and all will be ok :thumbs:

the high mileage oils are pretty much a marketing gimmick

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Dunno' about that? The Yanks were smart with their lubrication oils and additives. Remembering of course the demo' with Wynns Friction Proofing.:rolleyes: Anyway, Valvoline claim their oil additives help keep old lipped seals flexible, and as it was very competitively priced, I used it, no seal problems, and whilst it may or may not have, I found it suited me fine.:):

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Check what oil you are buying.
"Castrol GTX High Mileage" is a 15W40, so I wouldn't use that at all.
Not all of it. You can get it as 10W40. I have used it in my 156 in the past with no problems.
I'm just going by the info from Castrol and they only list the one labelled as "High Mileage" as a 15W40. see here

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Dunno' about that? The Yanks were smart with their lubrication oils and additives. Remembering of course the demo' with Wynns Friction Proofing.:rolleyes: Anyway, Valvoline claim their oil additives help keep old lipped seals flexible, and as it was very competitively priced, I used it, no seal problems, and whilst it may or may not have, I found it suited me fine.:):

Beware a lot of these products. These friction modifiers can be very corrosive.:eek:

The trouble with the additives or oils, I forget which base group, is that they soften the seals because they make them swell. I don't know if it is a problem, but I imagine it may work only for a while, or even accelerate the degredation of good seals.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Beware a lot of these products. These friction modifiers can be very corrosive.:eek:

The trouble with the additives or oils, I forget which base group, is that they soften the seals because they make them swell. I don't know if it is a problem, but I imagine it may work only for a while, or even accelerate the degredation of good seals.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if it aint broke dont fix it :D

if it is broke, oil additives wont fix it :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I use castrol high millage in my 155 16v. Same engine 220000 miles sounds a treat on the stuff still. 15w-40

1 - 12 of 12 Posts