Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to source some readily available oil in Canada, without going too exotic.

I am having a horrible tappety sound from the engine, except at high revs, and my mechanic said it might be oil related. The valves and rockers have been adjusted right before delivery, but it still is very, very tappety. The dealership put in Castrol 10w30 IIRC, and I think it needs a different oil than that to cure it.

I run Rotella T6 5w40 in my 2.0T Saab 9-3. It loves it. I know it is a diesel oil, but it works fantastic in boosted and high compression engines like the Saabs. Would it be ok for the Alfa V6? I figure its cleaning agents and stability under heat and pressure would be bonuses...

What other oil does anyone recommend that I could get from a Canadian Tire or something? I would prefer to stay away from Redline, Amsoil, or Royal Purple as they are VERY expensive. But if they are the best for my engine, and I have no alternative, I will spring for the rich boy stuff...

Also, if my engine is tappeting with 10w30 oil, should I go thicker or thinner to get rid of the noise? 10w40? 5w40?

Thanks, I really am not good at this...

·
Registered
434 Posts
i dont think its going to make much difference if its tappety on 10w30, 10w40 is the correct spec i believe, but 5w40 super-cedes this, so you could go with that, id be surprised if it makes much difference though

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Generally the bigger the numbers, the thicker the oil. 10W40 is thicker than 10W30 and also 5W40.

Your beast wants 10W40, semi-synthetic. Look for an API rating on the bottle. It will probably be SL, or SM etc. and your engine only needs SG.. so any semi-synthetic will be good enough. This is not the super-expensive (fully synthetic) stuff (rated SN maybe)... though that stuff stays in grade longer.

Your change interval is 12,000 miles and semi-synth' can do it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so it needs 10w40. The only good synthetics in 10w40 I can get are Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Castrol Titanium...

would 5w40 hurt it? I am a big fan of Rotella T6, it gets good UOAs at BobistheOilGuy forums...

dont want to bork the engine...

thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can also use 10/60 synthetic oil, but is normally for more spirited driving.
I cant find any 10w60 here for the life of me...there is some 15w50, Shell Rotella Diesel dual rated stuff, and some Amsoil racing oil, and that is all I could find at two stores...

I might just give the Rotella 5W40 a try and see how it goes...would that be a mistake?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
5W40 is good. It sounds like 5W40 may be the actual recommended grade for Canada anyway, if you can find that easily but not 10W40.

I'd guess in winter it's a bit parky there, compared to Europe, so 5W40 is probably preferable to 10W40 (Euro' spec.. but our temps range from 0C to around 25C). If it's generally cooler there (minus centigrade commonplace), then 5W40 would be a better option than 10W40.

Don't use a 15W50 or 10W60 unless it's just for the summer months and your summers are scorching hot. In the winter that heavier oil will be like treacle and your oil pump will struggle to circulate it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5W40 is good. It sounds like 5W40 may be the actual recommended grade for Canada anyway, if you can find that easily but not 10W40.

I'd guess in winter it's a bit parky there, compared to Europe, so 5W40 is probably preferable to 10W40 (Euro' spec.. but our temps range from 0C to around 25C). If it's generally cooler there (minus centigrade commonplace), then 5W40 would be a better option than 10W40.

Don't use a 15W50 or 10W60 unless it's just for the summer months and your summers are scorching hot. In the winter that heavier oil will be like treacle and your oil pump will struggle to circulate it.

Ralf S.
yeah the car will only be for late spring to fall - so coldest it would get would be in the low teens celsius. I went with the Rotella T6 and the car seems to like it, the tapping is a little quieter, especially at idle, and the oil temps are even lower for some reason. Will update when time to change on condition of the oil.

Thanks all for the kind suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts