Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent post has reminded me of a thought I had whilst doing the last oil change.

Why is the 16v oil filter so small?

Is it just for cost reasons? Doesn't seem to be a space issue.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage in finding a larger filter? I would have thought that a larger filter element wouldn't restrict flow as much and wouldn't clog as fast, maintaining pressure where it's needed (bearings etc) and reducing it where it isn't (pressure drop across filter).

Madness?

Robert.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Reason is for not get discharge easily in the night, I think my mech told me long ago. ;)

Cheers

Jorge

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That'll be the non-return valve or whatever to stop the oil draining out, but no idea why they're so small...perhaps just cost or no need for them to be bigger :confused:

wrinx

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
If you do fit a larger filter body, make sure you fill it during oil changes so you're not waiting too long to get oil to the bearings :(

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone know if theres a difference between the Q4 and TS oil filters?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Just leave the standard one in there!! The flow rate and filtering abilities will have been tested by AR... I doubt that you picking a bigger one at random off the parts shelf will give better results!

Ralf S.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert,
It's an interesting point. I wonder if it's at all connected with the number of crankshaft failure's which have occurred with the 16v engine. It's interesting to note the number of 155s, 146s and 156s appearing on Ebay with either engine rebuilds or being sold with knackered bottom ends.

Coincidence?

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts