Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
In anticipation of doing an intermediate oil change on the March 2016 MA 170 Collezione, I bought original oil and filter from Shop4Parts. Just like the 159, the filter is listed as a paper insert for the plastic housing- except when I opened the bonnet, it wasn't. The oil filter on our car is a spin-on cartridge. I can't read the part no. on the filter because of a heat shield that blocks it. The Shop4Parts no. tallies with Alfa Workshop, ePer and EuroCarParts but it won't fit this car. Anyone have knowledge of this change and part no.?

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Pm me your chassis number and I'll look up the p/n for you.

I haven't seen a 1.4 MA with a spin-on cartridge filter yet but the new ally block 1750 has a spin on filter whereas the old one had a cartridge.

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I hate the paper cartridge type filters.

Too much messing about and messy. The plastic covers can break as well if you are not careful.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pm me your chassis number and I'll look up the p/n for you.

I haven't seen a 1.4 MA with a spin-on cartridge filter yet but the new ally block 1750 has a spin on filter whereas the old one had a cartridge.
Many thanks, Dan-

ZAR94000007417916

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Your car is too new for my parts catalogue I'm afraid! Still just the old paper type listed.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
They are all spin on cartridges:

The plastic spin on cartridge takes a new paper element.

The metal spin on cartridge has a built in paper element and is thrown away.

Do you have a plastic or a metal cartridge?

Or have I misunderstood?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
part number 55242758. Must be new filter, first time i've seen that number and never stocked it!

Gav
Thanks Gav, that confirms what Beechdale, Derby told me. The new 1.4 MA has a spin on, throw away metal cartridge Mopar no.55242758. No more plastic cap cleaning!

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
but you can easily inspect the filter for signs of sludge or clogging if it's a paper cartridge.
Well if you are going to the hassle of taking it out to inspect it, you may as well replace it. :p

I was joking, I know what you meant. :)

I can see what you mean, but you shouldn't really get much sludge if you change the oil more frequently than recommended, and drain it through the sump plug instead of trying to suck it out through the dipstick hole.

I have seen sludge on some cars (usually the first oil change after buying them), but it always show up in the bottom of the oil drain pan when it is emptied.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I've seen crushed cartridge filters, fully caked and the pressure differential crushed them. Apparently 9k miles was too much for them... you would never know with a spin-on unless you cut it open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts