Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is dripping/leaking oil. a couple of drops. I am told if it does not leak a bit of oil, it aint an Alfa?!?

If anyone experiences such a "common" problem, how would you make the diagnosis of where the leak is???:confused:

Could it be time for my oil pump to be replaced??? Seeing as it is dripping from that general area.

Any input would be welcome:(

·
Registered
141 Posts
My suggestion to source the drip more accurately would be to buy some "Gunk" (solvent-based cleaner) from a motor factors, spray it over the underside of the engine, give it ten mins, and pressure wash it all. Then watch it and wait for the oil drip. This is how I sourced my pinion seal leak on the diff.
Phil

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Yes, good advice Phil.
Get everything as clean as poss and then you have a much better chance of seeing where it's coming from. The oil pump is effectively "inside" the engine so it won't be that, but it could be any combination of crank seals, sump gasket, oil filter and so on!! It all helps with the rust proofing.
:D
If it's just a few trickles/drips, just keep the thing topped up and keep an eye on your oil pressure and don't worry.
;)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Do the check as suggested above to Identify where its coming from. If its engine oil then at least you can keep it topped up. If its diff or gearbox they are more difficult to top up and have a smaller volume. So they'll need a proper fix.

I destroyed a gearbox once by ignoring a leak for too long and thinking it was engine oil.

Gearbox oil is generally cleaner than engine oil which helps to ID it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts