Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just about to do an oil change on my GTV and as there isnt an alfa dealer near me I wondered if the gasket for the drain plug is something I can get from somewhere like Halfords, a universal one or does it have to be from an Alfa dealer? Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Earlier ones for a 147, were copper, and could be annealed. Later ones incorporate a plastic lipped seal, and are better, as they make a more effective seal, with less torque required?:): Pence from Alfa agents.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just found my local (Plymouth) Fiat/Ford dealer reluctantly offer Alfa service parts too. They quoted me £2.34 + vat. First of all they said they don't offer Alfa parts, then I contacted their other branch who are 50 miles away who do offer Alfa parts and they told me that the Plymouth branch can't be bothered to look up part numbers and just say they dont do Alfa ...you gotta laugh

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well if you can anneal the old one, that should suffice, but don't overdo that tightening up! Far better to have a wee drip, after running her, and then just 'nipping' the plug up a tadge more?:):

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just found my local (Plymouth) Fiat/Ford dealer reluctantly offer Alfa service parts too. They quoted me £2.34 + vat. First of all they said they don't offer Alfa parts, then I contacted their other branch who are 50 miles away who do offer Alfa parts and they told me that the Plymouth branch can't be bothered to look up part numbers and just say they dont do Alfa ...you gotta laugh
[email protected]$. I'd be inclined to let AR head office know about that, lazy shysters.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Guess this is telling grandma how to suck eggs? But if you are not sure of the annealing process......, suspend the copper gasket/washer, on preferably a length of steel wire, then with a butane/propane, or whatever torch you have that generates sufficient heat,......, Heat the washer until it glows cherry red, and then plunge it in that cold water container you have close to hand.:):

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that and have a mini blowtorch so that advice is great.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You can get one from Halfords. They sell a box of assorted ones and there will be two or three in the size that you need. I have used them a number of times. What you do with the remaining assortment is up to you. Makeshift confetti for the next wedding you attend, perhaps?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
There you are Ratmonkey, specifications for Dowty seals. patented name I guess Armoore, or is hat not so?:):
They are the inventors or so I believe. Dowty make/made aircraft components such as undercarriages. It was through aircraft interests that I became aware of them some time ago.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My question has certainly been answered here, thanks very much for all your replies. Now to change that oil and make use of my torque wrench

1 - 12 of 12 Posts