Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Im busy with a air to oil, oil cooler for my brera, adapter plate is already in the making and coming along.

I do not posess the fortunate knowledge of oil cooling sizes etc so im asking what oil cooler size is appropriate for my engine. I dont know how to calculate this but ill leave the info here for the people that can do the calc

5.5L oil
3.6L displacement
Probably 340 crank hp

Also can anyone reccomend oil coolers? I see you get highly expensive setrab coolers and then guys who manufacture their own coolers for about a R1000 but i dont know the difference.

Can anyone tell me where to get a oil thermostat? Am i right in saying 105C is the proper working temp for oil to be regulated at to make sure the condensate water gets burned out?

Thanks in advance for the input :beer:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Benzina, I have no idea of the size or location of the Brera oil cooler but can comment on some things:

On my car the oil temp is about 100 degrees for normal driving.
Oil temp rarely goes beyond 110 degrees except when very hot and doing mountains very rapidly.
The cooler you can keep your oil, the better it is for your oil. Water condensate will evapourate at as low as 70 degrees, not that you will ever need to run your oil hat cool though.
Achieving stable oil temperature will be more beneficial. In other words, oil heating up rapidly to operating temp (+- 100 degrees) and then maintaining that temperature as closely as possible.

Now:
I have previously installed oil coolers an hydraulic systems, industrial gearboxes and engines for one simple reason: Fitting an additional pump and filter to clean particles out of systems. If I were to do such an installation, I would fit a cooler with integral fan that will switch on and off dependent on thermostatic triggers. They are available from certain motorsport outlets or hydraulics suppliers. See these:

Engine oil cooler with fan: http://www.bptmotorsport.com.au/bptcom/BPT oil cooler.JPG
Hydraulic oil cooler with fan: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-4x4-discussion/257537d1154904255-looking-advice-small-hydraulic-oil-cooler-electric-fan-bm_hiteksupercooler.jpg

Those two items are very close in design and both should be over enough to cool your brera engine. When buying a cooler, ensure that you have some good pipe sizes and well formed bends. Later when you need to flush the cooler you will be glad for good pipe sizes. An example of good pipe sizing and good bends: http://www.alamomotorsports.com/pmc/CatImages/PG07-L1.gif

Well designed coolers will ensure a reduction in sludge formation, reduction in oil darkening due to carbonization, and in the case of replacing a factory oil filter, a reduction in pumping losses. Most obviously, it will show an improvement in oil temperature stabilization.

I hope someone can assist with your selection process.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Oil carbonize at 120C, so this is where you want to stay away from. You can often see the brown layer laid down on a turbo's shaft, and that only point to carbon in the oil as well.

Synthetics are better at coping with temperature both at carbonizing and keeping viscosity stabile. The hotter the oil, the thinner it become and further from design specification. If you can keep it close to water temperature it would be perfect, but is not always possible especially with a turbo.

Temperature reading also depend on where you are measuring, before or after cooler or in the sump.

At the lack of efficiency charts for different coolers, and an unknown air flow, I would use size of the Buso's oil cooler as a starting point (160x 180mm?)

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
MrTurbo is way cheaper than Setrab while quality is similar - i have bought one of each.

Most coolers are 11" wide (280mm) and then you choose how many rows: 9 row (small: 80mm) 19 rows (medium: 140mm) 30 row (large: 210mm). MrTurbo also had some narrower coolers, but seem to have sold out on them.

I have a 30 row Setrab on the GTV 2.0TS and in normal traffic oil does not go much over 60C on my gauge (heat measure gun had it at 67C at home) I have not raced since I had the temp gauge in, so won't be able to tell hard work temps. (I am not 100% convinced the location is right (at the back of the expansion of the oil sump (155 2.0TS sump)

In my 156 2.0TS racer oil temp went up to 110C by the end of the race with a 12 row cooler (yes odd size, no idea on the make). I have now bought a MrTurbo 30 row cooler for 156 as that funny cooler was not quite right for N/A before, definitely not now going turbo.

If you get a oil sandwich with a thermostat in, then go 30 row. I don't think a fan is needed.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking a 19 row cooler. The guys with the 2.8 saab turbos running high boost hp seems happy with a 19 row cooler.

For those who dont know the saab 2.8 turbo is the same engine just has a different stroke

Reactions: corriedw

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i have a cooler that can hold it at 110 max on the track then ill be happy.

Ill post a pic of where i want to mount it then you guys can tell me if you think it will be suitable

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I think it could work. As long as you can keep it safe enough from getting damaged from accidentally hitting a kerb

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Airflow close to the road is best, see where it can fit. With a low pressure area behind it, like right front before the wheel, may be best.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In my 156 2.0TS racer oil temp went up to 110C by the end of the race with a 12 row cooler (yes odd size, no idea on the make). I have now bought a MrTurbo 30 row cooler for 156 as that funny cooler was not quite right for N/A before, definitely not now going turbo.
What did the 30 row cooler cost, if you don't mind my asking? And what are the dimensions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts