Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some issues with my car heating up. In colder weather (around 0°C outside) car takes 5km to get up to 50°C and 20km of "b road" driving to get to 90°C. If I hit "a roads" then it is up to 90°C quite fast in few minutes. But at slower speeds it takes very long time.

I have changed the water thermostat, but things didn't improve. So I'm thinking if I could be having some issues with oil cooler thermostat?

I checked ePer and the price for new oil thermostat is insane over 400€. :wow:

Is there any simple way to test the performance of oil thermostat?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new thermostat is genuine and works fine... I just checked yesterday after 15km of driving water temp was ~80 degrees C, and the radiator hoses were completely cold... I couldnt reach the oil cooler pipes to feel if they were cold or warm.

I guess faulty oil thermostat could influence quite a bit on engine temp...

I also tried to run with cabin heater turned down to min and fan to lowest settings, but there was almost no difference.

L

·
0 Posts
The new thermostat is genuine and works fine... I just checked yesterday after 15km of driving water temp was ~80 degrees C, and the radiator hoses were completely cold... I couldnt reach the oil cooler pipes to feel if they were cold or warm.

I guess faulty oil thermostat could influence quite a bit on engine temp...

I also tried to run with cabin heater turned down to min and fan to lowest settings, but there was almost no difference.
oil thermostat? what is that?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Which models have oil thermostats? My 10v JTD 2001 156 is slow to warm despite a new genuine coolant stat 6 months ago, it takes about 20 minutes driving to get to about 80c. Most other cars I've owned typically take less than half that time.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Which models have oil thermostats? My 10v JTD 2001 156 is slow to warm despite a new genuine coolant stat 6 months ago, it takes about 20 minutes driving to get to about 80c. Most other cars I've owned typically take less than half that time.
Your car doesn't have an oil radiator, so no need for a thermostat.
You have an oil/coolant heat exchanger.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all JTD 16v/20v engines have an oil cooler. It is located on the right side of the car. With two oil pipes going from the oil filter assembly to the radiator.

JTD 8v/10v only have heat exchanger.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your car doesn't have an oil radiator, so no need for a thermostat.
You have an oil/coolant heat exchanger.
Perhaps this contributes toward my slow warm up, the coolant will be losing heat to the oil until the oil gets to be the hotter of the two. My Corvette has 2 temp gauges and it probably takes 20 miles or so before the oil is hotter than the coolant.

·
Registered
497 Posts
your egr valve blanked off by any chance?
mine take about the same to warm up and my egr is blanked,
i take it you're saying it effects it

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
egr gases go throught heat exchanger so if you check readings on engine temp cruising you will see 5c +

egr aids warm up time obviously

1 - 14 of 14 Posts