Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn! Got a leak from the oil cooler, well its the unions on the pipes but the pipes are well corroded and I don't fancy them bursting and leaving me stranded one day :eek:

Just checked the price and they are £75 each!!!! For a bit of sodding pipe :(

Does anyone know if these are available elsewhere???

Next option is to make them up meself ;) Get some copper and off ya go ;)

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..........and don't get me started on the price for the oil cooler :rant: :rant: :rant:
wrinx

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Hey Wrinx, not sure if it's relevant for car engines, copper piping is an absolute no-no anywhere near synthetic oil on jet engines! I seem to remember a reaction between additives and copper causing fouling and additive depletion :(

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do twinny's have an oil cooler...never looked!! Anyway, its for the V6.....

Thanks Mave, never heard of that one so it will have to be steel...great!! Not sure huuuuge pipe bender will cope with that but we'll see :D

I'm guessing these are a main dealer only job and I'll have to fabricate the nut/seal too :(:(

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Try going down to a Hydraulic supplier`s they may be able to make some pipe`s up for you the same as the one`s on the car for a lot less money ;)

Are you sure it`s the pipe`s that are leaking or is it the cooler..............If it`s the pipes then be very careful when undoing the ends as they might fracture the cooler before they undo :eek: :(

Or is there a local motorsport shop they might have some various pipes in the one down the road from me had some when we fitted the cooler to the SUD .................but they probably want top money for them

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found this thread...........found a pipe on Ebay for £20 new :D Just hope its the right one :eek:

wrinx

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Are the oil cooler pipes you speak of, Wrinx, not the ones for the power steering fluid. If so, it's mineral oil in there. :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definately oil cooler. Small radiator in the right hand of the bumper, pipes into the engine. PS cooler is the pipe under the rad.

wrinx

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be very careful when you try to replace the pipes, from memory, they appear to be treadlocked as well, so you may well find that trying to undo the pipe from the oil cooler wrecks the oil cooler as well. Just to cheer you up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wrinx, the cooler from your 8 valve yer breaking will be the same won't it ????

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It didn't have one...not that I could find anyway :confused:

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should be in the same place as the V6, tucked in behind the bumper on the right hand side. That's where mine is anyway (and Shugs) :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, thats where I looked...the 8v was a 96 model so perhaps they dropped it later on in line with the 16v's???

wrinx

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm just happy mine doesn't have on oil cooler! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wish i had read this thread befor.... Feel like i just got robbed, buying those two small hoses. and then on my birthday, great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts