Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read plenty of threads about the problems with the GT's oil cooler pipe fittings corroding but nowhere can I find what thread form the fittings use at either end, and the engine end in particular.
Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've read plenty of threads about the problems with the GT's oil cooler pipe fittings corroding but nowhere can I find what thread form the fittings use at either end, and the engine end in particular.
Does anyone know?
The fittings are similar at each end and as far as I remember they just push into the oil cooler housing/oil filter housing (an 'o' ring seals) and the flange bolts to the housing using one small offset bolt. I think the end fittings are crimped on to the pipes but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
You know about Autolusso's replacement kit? Although that uses a Mocal cooler and different oil filter base, so hoses connections are completely different. I think by the time the OE pipes are rotted, the matrix itself is usually pretty shot.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're oddball fittings as shown, hence the problems replacing them with something more standard:
Thanks very much for your answers. I was thinking of replacing the cooler and cooler end fittings for Mocal items myself but connecting them to the largely fine engine end by making up some pipes of my own, hence the question. Are the engine end fittings the same kind of push on, one bolt item that the std. cooler end fittings shown in your link are? if I made up my own I could put an oil themostatic valve in as well.

Maybe I could get the old fittings off. cut the crimped connections off and turn some ridges into them then jubilee clip the pipes on, what sort of pressure does the pump generate?

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Thanks very much for your answers. I was thinking of replacing the cooler and cooler end fittings for Mocal items myself but connecting them to the largely fine engine end by making up some pipes of my own, hence the question. Are the engine end fittings the same kind of push on, one bolt item that the std. cooler end fittings shown in your link are? if I made up my own I could put an oil themostatic valve in as well.

Maybe I could get the old fittings off. cut the crimped connections off and turn some ridges into them then jubilee clip the pipes on, what sort of pressure does the pump generate?
Yeah the engine end fittings are the same design, nothing similar in the aftermarket. There is already an oil thermostat in the factory 'take off plate' behind the oil filter by the way.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh thanks Pud didn't know about the existing thermostatic valce but I guess it makes sense. Do you know if there's one built into the Autolusso replacement parts kit or does it retain the original?

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Oh thanks Pud didn't know about the existing thermostatic valce but I guess it makes sense. Do you know if there's one built into the Autolusso replacement parts kit or does it retain the original?
Yes the Autolusso one is thermostatic as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts