Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the TSpark serviced last thursday the 1st Feb. So oil tank full. Drove to Donegal from Dublin and back then a week of Dublin City driving. Result? Needed just under a litre of oil. That works out at about one litre per 5 hundred miles. Drove to Omagh and back yesterday, about 200 miles. Needs about half a litre now. It's like I've to fill her in both tanks every week. Is this the average? I basically have to top her up every second week.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
It's above average, but to be honest not that much :eek: You'll find that it tends to use half its oil quite quickly, but the other half last a bit longer (hence the reason you needed half a litre after your 200 mile trip). Just keep on topping her up and it should (touch wood) be alright :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of interest if you don't keep an eye on the oil and it drops below min a few times what are the end results. I ask because someone in my work had their "company" 156 engine rebuilt to the tune of 4k euro after a few difficulties (he wasn't able to explain them to me) but part of it was low oil. It has now been passed onto the office junior who has fallen foul of a very low oil reading.

If there are no instantly discernable hoises/results, are you home free or is there a risk of future problems? Bar the actuator noise?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
The bearings (big end and small end) will be knackered :(, and whether it takes a year or two the fault will show up eventually.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
indeed - my car has suffered that fate....knackered variator and bottom end bearings worn. The previous owner was a lady :p

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Well, you're need an engine rebuild, so anywhere between £1,200 to £1,500 I would have thought. The TS engine has a very small sump, so if the oil level is below the minimum level on the dip stick there's very little oil left int he engine :(

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
don't really need a rebuild - as long as the crank hasn't suffered any damage. The big end shells are only about 40 quid plus a couple of hours to fit....variator should be replaced with the cam belts and balance belts - about 200 quid for parts.

If there's no noise then i wouldn't do anything - just keep a keen ear out for any knocking and get it fixed quickly if you detect any so that the crank doesn't get damaged.

The small ends are a bit more involved - head needs to come off as well as the sump....don't think they'll do much harm if they're worn - just a bit noisy - big ends are the ones you want to catch....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Since first owning my TS I have shamefully let to oil drop to the tip of the dip stick twice. :( :rant: The shame and guilt over this weighs heavy on my heart. BUT, at least I caught it while it still had about two litres left in it.

I believe the real danger is that when the oil gets this low it is returning to the sump and being recirculated immediately, increasing temperatures and degradation and burning off of the remaining oil. The loss of the remaining litre or two of oil happens quickly resulting in actual metal to metal contact of hot spinning parts = real damage.

The fatal damage I believe usually occurs when oil has dropped to a level where there is no longer the sufficient oil to have a continuous circuit from pick-up, up to the head and down again. If air gets into the oil pump it seizes, after which no oil flows resulting in toast within seconds.

All this of course is my attempt to convince myself that my Alfa has been mistreated but maybe not seriously wounded by my shamefull neglect. To be fair, the last time I lost two litres in two WEEKS!! (Late night blasts back from Meath on N3 for a few days running)

Now every second day I leave the house and open the door of the car, I clip the bonnet, lift the stick, drop it back in, and drop the bonnet. 10 seconds tops. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean your Alfa is not trying to toast itself.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Yeah, I check mine every couple of days if I've only done short journeys, and every day if I've done longer ones...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
In my 147 owner manual it recommends letting the engine cool for 5 mins after use, then take your dipstick reading, ensuring your car is on the level.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use RS 10W 60 fully synthetic in mine after some Alfa research and hardly lose an ounce. Could be that I also using TUFOIL:inlove: . Used TUFOIL in my Honda Civic and is on 125000 and sounds better than it did when I bought it 75000. Want to get to 200000 with it;) . Best additive on the planet so I put it in my 2.5 Sportroinic too. http://www.tufoil.net/ and http://www.tufoil.com/ . I'm convinced...will you be?:)

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I use RS 10W 60 fully synthetic in mine after some Alfa research and hardly lose an ounce. Could be that I also using TUFOIL:inlove: . Used TUFOIL in my Honda Civic and is on 125000 and sounds better than it did when I bought it 75000. Want to get to 200000 with it;) . Best additive on the planet so I put it in my 2.5 Sportroinic too. http://www.tufoil.net/ and http://www.tufoil.com/ . I'm convinced...will you be?:)
The V6 doesn't tend to have such a thirst for oil as the TS IIRC.

I also managed to buy a TS engine car that sounded and drove fine, after 250 miles the big ends were knocking. So I guess that had been run low on oil too. I shouldn't have really bought the car to be fair, the lady who I bought it from wasn't a mechanical type. Although the car was cheap...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Surely as long as you are consistent when check it's OK - always hot or always cold. I check mine when I fill up, so nearly always when warm and, usefully, forecourts are flat :idea:

And not ALL TSs use oil. My 145 used none, and my dad's 147 doesn't use any. Not sure about the 166 yet.

BUT if the worst comes to it and the engine falls out, you can just pop anther / recon engine in. I am saving up a contingeny fund in case this happens!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts