Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 155 1.7 TS, and I'm wondering if it's a normal thing that a car that has been running only 42' km

I use a fully synthetic 10W40 on it, but I think it uses quite a bit. Usally i top it up with 1 litre every 2000 km... The dipstick always shows that there's not much oil left, anybody know what to do? Oh, and also, no oil leak from the engine. I've checked it...

One more question: I have a chain belt on the car. Do I need to adjust this at any point or what?

Sorry for my bad formulation and english. Hope somebody can help, not many 155's in Norway...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It`s possible that the fully synthetic oil is too thin for your engine and getting where it`s not supposed to and being burn`t by the engine

I would say try changing to a semi synthetic and seeing if the consumption drops

If i remember rightly a few others here have had a similar problem when using fully synthetic and changing to semi dramatically reduced the oil usage

Regarding the timing chain it can be adjusted quite easily Marlon posted about doing it not so long ago have a search am sure you`ll find it :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Alfa engines built on Thursday mornings use more oil than others built during the rest of the week. wink

My 1.8 TS 16v uses hardly any oil, but my wife's 2.0 ts 16v 156 uses maybe about the same amount you quote. There's even a sticker on the inside of the 156's windscreen saying that the oil should be checked every 1000 miles. Some say you should check it at every fuel fill up!

Although my 155 doesn't use a lot of oil, I don't think it's unusual that Alfa engines do. Just keep checking it to be safe!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! My dad owns a 155 1.8 92 mod. He uses it as his summercar in Spain. And it doesn't usa any oil at all, so as you say Richward it depends it a "monday" engine.
And, Speed... Thank you so much for your answers. I believe you've helped me on Alfaowner as well! :)

Anyway thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts