Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People,

My 1999 156 oil consumption has gone sky high.
Depending on my driving conditions i fill average of 1 liter per 500Km.
I can hear engine knocking (hard to notice but obvious enough) when i floor the gas pedal and accelerate, and I had a friend rev the car for me, and I can see light white smoke when being reved at about 3K-4K.
No oil leaks on engine bottom.
After researching on older posts, It seems like it's down to piston rings or valve seals.

What do you think alfa owner?

I'm thinking about going for piston rings replacement, should I replace valve seals as well since engine is being worked on, or it might not be necessary?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
What sort of mileage has it done any other symptoms

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has only 132,000 Km
and the only thing i believe that could have affected the engine, but that was a year ago, the thermostat had failed and it wasn't available locally so the car used to run cold, and the mixture was rich for a long time

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Maxiboy, the knocking isn't that bad....it sounds as if you have low octane fuel in, and it's not all the time on going.
also if i don't rev the car hard, nor floor the gas, i can't hear that knocking sound.
I'm guessing if it's bearing shells, the knocking would have been strong....what do you think?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I,m guessing it depends how worn the shells are

easy way to check is connect an oil pressure gauge low oil pressure points to worn shells..

unless it knocking because of detonation but cant see why.. could get an emissions check done first. would tell you if the mixture is correct and if its burning oil ..

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Try 10w60 oil

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Worn bearings should increase oil consumption, but rings will. Over-rich fueling, if excessive, can wash down the bores and take away the oil that lubricates the rings over time. Running an engine too hot is definitely damaging, but so can too cold if left (apart from hurting your wallet with extra fuel stops).

My guess would be rings and a possible re-hone the bores (meaning an engine strip down) ... and yes, get the oil seals changed while the head is off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts