Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my G is 7 months old, 3000 miles, multiair tb 170. I check the oil level every month, after 5 months 2000 miles it needed half litre of oil, 7 months 3000 miles on it needs another half litre of oil. I do a lot of short journeys most of the time, just come back from holiday in Dorset, so had some long runs. I don't use D mode that often. Is 1 litre normal with this engine, having read some of the threads a lot of multiair s don't use any oil. Will the oil consumption settle down after some time. Just need some advice thanks in advance:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
i think it'll always be an oilburner now. lots of short trips and no proper running in. But some oil consumption in the first few thousand miles is normal. you seem to be over the norm though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi my G is 7 months old, 3000 miles, multiair tb 170. I check the oil level every month, after 5 months 2000 miles it needed half litre of oil, 7 months 3000 miles on it needs another half litre of oil. I do a lot of short journeys most of the time, just come back from holiday in Dorset, so had some long runs. I don't use D mode that often. Is 1 litre normal with this engine, having read some of the threads a lot of multiair s don't use any oil. Will the oil consumption settle down after some time. Just need some advice thanks in advance:rolleyes:
Ours has completed 12,500 miles, and only 5,000 miles since last service, oil & filter change exactly a year ago, during that time I have topped up about half litre which is more than I expected. Similar usage to you - fairly short runs with some long haul journeys.

You are saying 1 litre of oil for 3,000 - sounds very excessive, are there any obvious signs of leakage, or burning oil smell from exhaust ? I know there has been previous speculation regarding valve seals on multiairs so best let your dealer check things or at least let them know of your concerns whilst the vehicle is still in warranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for getting back so quick, i think a trip to the dealers just to put my mind at rest. Cheers for help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no signs of leakage or any burning smell, in fact it's running really well. Will get it checked, and hope it settles down. Cheers.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
there's a maximum allowable oil consumption of 400 grams per 1000 km, you're well under that so the dealer can't do anything. check the manual, it's in there (page 212 in my case)

·
Registered
406 Posts
there's a maximum allowable oil consumption of 400 grams per 1000 km, you're well under that so the dealer can't do anything. check the manual, it's in there (page 212 in my case)
I wonder what that is in English ? My book says similar, although since my last post I have actually taken the trouble to check the litre top up bottle I have, about 700ml remaining so not used half a litre, more like 300ml. I am a little neurotic when it comes to keeping the level at the top of the hatched portion of the dipstick, not really necessary of course.
The car goes in on Tuesday for oil/filter change and a few odds & sods, including a mysterious puddle that sometimes appears on the garage floor, dead centre under the car from time to time, whether wet or dry out, no loss of coolant though.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I check regularly if the level is still at the top aswell. And besides the intial +- half litre top up, the level has always stayed the same. mind you, the first few thousand miles the oil level was hardly visible on the dipstick. Only after I made another dipstick which is better to read was I sure that the level was halfway between min and max.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The car goes in on Tuesday for oil/filter change and a few odds & sods, including a mysterious puddle that sometimes appears on the garage floor, dead centre under the car from time to time, whether wet or dry out, no loss of coolant though.
I bet it's water from the AC, this can drip for a good 15 minutes after shutting down the engine.
center of the car, but a good half meter behind the sump....

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bet it's water from the AC, this can drip for a good 15 minutes after shutting down the engine.
center of the car, but a good half meter behind the sump....
Yes - that would be about it, it's under where the bottom of the windscreen is located, thought it might be run off from screen washer but water from the AC seems more plausible. Thanks :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always keep it topped up to the top of the criss cross bit, used half litre first 5 months 2000 miles, was just surprised when I checked this month that it was nearly half way down again, which is by my reckoning nearly half a litre used. Will keep a check on it and hope it beds in. Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The maximum engine oil consumption is usually 400 grams every 1000 km. During the initial period of use the engine oil consumption conditions should be considered as having stabilised after the first 5000 - 6000 km. Your right just checked manual :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
My punto (same engine without the turbo) used around a liter in the first 10'000 miles, then consumption dropped right down to 500ml between services (approx 9000 miles). That consumption doesn't sound worrying to me at all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I wonder what that is in English ? My book says similar, although since my last post I have actually taken the trouble to check the litre top up bottle I have, about 700ml remaining so not used half a litre, more like 300ml. I am a little neurotic when it comes to keeping the level at the top of the hatched portion of the dipstick, not really necessary of course.

It's the a/c for sure. I have put a tray with absorbent under the car as the puddle is much much bigger on humid days. It's as if someone spilled a glass of water on the floor and my garage has ceramic tiles which become very slippery when wet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My punto (same engine without the turbo) used around a liter in the first 10'000 miles, then consumption dropped right down to 500ml between services (approx 9000 miles). That consumption doesn't sound worrying to me at all.
Thanks makes me feel bit better:D

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's the a/c for sure. I have put a tray with absorbent under the car as the puddle is much much bigger on humid days. It's as if someone spilled a glass of water on the floor and my garage has ceramic tiles which become very slippery when wet.
Ceramic tiles ? - how posh ! :) thanks for the pointer, one more item to cross of the "to sort list" I would imagine it's more of a problem where you are.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ceramic tiles ? - how posh ! :) thanks for the pointer, one more item to cross of the "to sort list" I would imagine it's more of a problem where you are.
Yep :) it was used as a classroom in the past so has very good lighting and ceramic floor. The perfect place for detailing a giulietta!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts