Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have Mobil 1 5w 50 in my car and I constantly rev her up. I find that I add 200- 300ml every 200km. Should I switch to a 10w 60 or 10w 40? Climate where I live goes down to 10℃ and highest is 40℃

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I use 10W60 in my TS's and V6 - and recommend for you then the same, not 10W40. Here we see -1C twice a year, mostly around the mid 20C, sometimes above 35C

·
Registered
302 Posts
10-40 may not make much difference, but worth trying. Mine used about the same on 10-40, have switched to 15-50 (mainly as I had some) and that has helped.

Mine has eaten this much oil for 3 years now, but performs very well so I just keep feeding it!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is 10-60 and 15-50 too heavy for a cold start up and may cause damage? My car revs itself up to 2-3k rpm when I start her up. (foot only on the brake as it's a sele) sometimes it doesn't do that and I have to give her some gas so the engine sounds smooth.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I still think 10w40 is correct for a TS, maybe 5w40 if you can afford it.

Unless you are on a track 10w60 is too thick.
10w50 might be a better compromise between consumption and wear resistance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main concern isn't money it's keeping my Alfa in top shape so I can drive it hard and have fun but not damage it

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Driving hard will wear things quicker.

But point being oil I'd rather use the lighter weight and change more often.

·
Registered
30,220 Posts
10degC is not cold.
I'd be using 10W60 going by this and your previous threads on your driving style...

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I use full rev's daily. But Unless it burns oil excessively or you are on track a lot I would think the lower viscosity stuff would perform better. Half the time on the roads oil temp never gets that hot anyway. Esp in a TS.

The 10w60 stuff is just a bodge at cheap oil rings.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a gauge for oil temp so I wouldn't know. So basically lower viscosity= more protection for normal driving and more oil consumption while higher viscosity is the opposite? I will rev her up at leat twice a day above 5k and usually change gears between 3.2 to 4.5k. Again performance and car care are my priorities not money when it comes to oil. I'm sure I use a little over 1L every 1000 km on my current 5w-50. Btw when I check the oil usually there is a thin line of oil on one side of the rod well above the max point even if the oil hasn't reached the max. Should I be concerned? I check the oil with the car on steady ground in the morning before it runs so I'm sure all oil has settled

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Twice a day above 5k? Thats not even trying.
You and me have very different idea's about driving hard.

Anyway - Given your current oil consumption it would probably be best to stick to 10w50

The problem with 10w60 is its shear properties. In order to get such a large range of viscosity it uses a lot of materials to bond it all together.

But yes generally lower viscosity protects the engine at low temps where most engine wear happens.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
No, reading the dipstick is tricky - always have two lines. As for oil temp - just trust your water temp - there is a heat exchanger between water and oil anyway - this helps up to heat up oil at cold start and then stabilize at warmer temps. Do no rev high before 70C water temp.

As David said - and I tried to say +10deg C is warm - there is no need for 5W / 10W (winter capability -20C / -15C) You can go to 20W50 is you want to stick to 50 viscosity

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most my driving is done in traffic so a few wheel spins a day and reving her a few times (2 at least and maybe 20 the most ) is about it. I maybe once every 3 days will go through all the gears at high revs (above 5k) except 5 gear... 1st gear takes the most beating from me. Next oil change I'll put in 10w50 then?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
1st gear takes the most beating from me. Next oil change I'll put in 10w50 then?
Quite literally... It'll be your gearbox and drive train and engine mounts that'll be taking the most beating. Not the engine...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
As David said - and I tried to say +10deg C is warm - there is no need for 5W / 10W (winter capability -20C / -15C) You can go to 20W50 is you want to stick to 50 viscosity
Isn't that a bit risk?
No, it is NOT - 1st learn about oil - the 50 is the viscosity at 100degC. 40 is "thinner" than 50 and 60 still "thicker"

The 5W, 10W, 20W is the Winter or cold start capability.
0W will work at -25degC
5W will work at -20degC
10W will work at -15degC
15W will work at -10degC
20W will work at -5degC
Without a W number - the oil is not guaranteed to work below 0.

You say the coldest you see is +10C - so there is no need for Winter spec oils

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok that's quite helpful information, thanks gertie
Guess I should change my driving style scotty f, thanks for Ur help

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Your car drive how you like. I know I do. Thats how I wear parts out quicker than they should :)

·
Registered
30,220 Posts
I will rev her up at leat twice a day above 5k and usually change gears between 3.2 to 4.5k. Again performance and car care are my priorities not money when it comes to oil.
Have to say, your posts do read a bit odd...
You talk of performance and "revving up" even asking how best to spin the wheels (which is pointless by the way!), but you change up early.
Selespeed gear changes don't speed up till over 5000rpm for example.
You are almost driving it like a Diesel...!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts