Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, and a happy new year.
Took the spider out today for a spin as it was good weather. Checked the oil and the amazing thing is that it maintains its level after 2000 miles.

My 147 has the same TS engine and uses about half a litre (sometimes more) every 500 miles.

Has anyone come across this as well?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Yep, keep checking.

Some use more than others.

Is your Spider a CF3 spec?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I think this is a fairly typical difference if the Spider engine is the earlier CF2 type (plastic top) or the version before that (metal top). My 156 has the same CF3 engine as your 147 and the oil consumption was horrendous. I was able to fix it by rebuilding the engine with new piston rings of the wider, earlier design made of chrome molybdenum steel. The later engines have more expensive narrow rings made of cast iron that are designed to reduce friction, but they don't actually control the oil properly in many examples.

-Alex

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both have the plastic top. Therefore I assume they are identical engines. Spider is on a W plate (2000) and the 147 is on a 53 plate.

D

·
0 Posts
No the spider will be a cf2 ( one cat under car and cable throttle ) and the 147 a cf3 ( 3 cats and electronic throttle )

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
I have had 8 twinspark engined cars, and none of them have been really bad on oil.

I think the worst was 1 litre every 2500 miles or so.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Both have the plastic top. Therefore I assume they are identical engines. Spider is on a W plate (2000) and the 147 is on a 53 plate.
No they are different.
CF3 didn't come in until Sept 2000 (X reg in the UK).
So your Spider is a CF2 and your 147 is a CF3.
Similar engines, but they are different.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think the worst was 1 litre every 2500 miles or so.
That is quite bad...

Mine doesn't burn any but a tiny bit weeps out of the crank seal if I overfill (seems to settle at the full mark exactly)... I think the valve seals are a common cause of oil burning? As with any engine?

Definitely agree it's wise to watch the oil like a hawk though.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I changed the oil on mine back in august, about 5000 miles ago, and its about 1/2 way between the two marks. It does have a slight leak at the gearbox end, possibly balance shaft seals or crank seal.

But theres not 1/2L on the cardboard that sits under the sump on the garage floor, so its either burnt off or all over the M27 :lol:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
That is quite bad...

Mine doesn't burn any but a tiny bit weeps out of the crank seal if I overfill (seems to settle at the full mark exactly)... I think the valve seals are a common cause of oil burning? As with any engine?
I found valve seals were a problem on the V6, but I haven't heard of or had that problem on the TS yet.

-Alex

·
Registered
120 Posts
my car hasnt even used any oil in the past two months then again it hasnt even had the engine running in the last two months cause the gearbox is off the car and has been at the alfa garage for that time

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
99 2.0 TS 166... Never used a drop of oil between changes.
01 2.0 TS Spider.... Put 1 litre in it since oil change 1000 miles ago.

Go figure...:mygrin1:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've got a 2.0 L Spider, 156 and 147. The first two very rarely need topping up but the 147 drinks 20K like there's no tomorrow.
Had it from 3,000 miles, (it was an ex demo), now on 123,000 miles and there are the tell tale signs of big end problems even though it has never been neglected or allowed to run low on oil

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
There was a clicking/ticking noise at about 3000 revs which sounded a bit like tappets but was obviously coming from tha base of the engine. The speed of the noise changed as the revs went higher or lower and disappeared after or above 4000 revs. I took it to Laurence at Autolusso who confirmed that this was the beginning of the death knoll.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
There was a clicking/ticking noise at about 3000 revs which sounded a bit like tappets but was obviously coming from tha base of the engine. The speed of the noise changed as the revs went higher or lower and disappeared after or above 4000 revs. I took it to Laurence at Autolusso who confirmed that this was the beginning of the death knoll.
That sounds like mine when the balance belt tensioner was shot. I feared the worse too. Youn never know.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Mine did have exactly the symptoms you describe Anthony. Light tapping at 3000-3500 rpm but only when under full load, i.e. up a hill.

Oil change made it go away, has not come back after 6 months / 5000 miles, so I'm planning another oil change next week to keep her going on fresh oil always.

Mines done 95,000 miles, hope to keep her another year...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts