Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Firstly apologies for such a dull question but...

I'm going to change the oil on my Alfa at the weekend.

I normally get Magnetec but am thinking about Mobil 1 0W/40, would it make a difference?

Cheers!

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
It should in theory be ok as 0w-40 is the same thickness as 10w-40 at operating temperature, however some people on here swear that using mobil 1 in that grade has made their engine run worse or use more oil.

All I can say is I have run 5w-40 fully synthetic in the last few of my TS engined cars with no trouble whatsoever.

Something like Shell Helix Ultra, Havoline synthetic, Gulf Formula G or Motul 8100 will be just fine.

As long as it's made by a leading manufacturer you won't go far wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would not put 0w40 in as this is too thin, i am pretty sure that your engine was designed to have selenia 20k engine oil ( 10w40 synthetic oil ) Mobil 1 may well cause the engine to work more efficiently as there is less resistance in the oil but the down side is that you will almost certainly develop an oil leak somewhere.
If you can't get hold of 20K, then a good quality 10w40 will do, i use Shell helix plus 10w40

·
Registered
134 Posts
alfa recomend 10w40 i'd stick with that ,the reason for me saying this is i had a bmw330ci, lovely car but it was recomended 0w40 but it ran like a bag of nails and used alot of oil when cold ,but! using 5w40 it ran perfect and used no oil at all

I think 0w40 would be too thin on start up ,if you buy the best oil you can but the right grade ie 10w40 you should have no problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, got my 147 serviced a few days ago and noticed hes used 5w40 fully synth but have since read that it should be run on 10w40, should I be worried?

Also he changed the spark plugs and used NGK Platinums which cost quite a lot, are these the best plugs to be using?

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NGK's or Denso's are good, I have platinums in my car over a year now and seem grand. And on the oil front it wil be fine just get a decent brand like Mobil One etc.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I use Castrol Edge 10W 60 fully synthetic.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
This thread is a bit like DvP?:): Stick to the manufacturers recommendations regarding viscosity, and then select a recognised brand, with all of the specs attributed to it,which should be printed on the can, and more than match, or exceed those in the drivers handbook?

I personally have never experienced mechanical engine failure caused by using 'cheap' lubricants, because I have always opted for premium grades of the correct spec.:): More important to spend money more often on 'Good' oil and a new filter if you want year after year, engine longevity,imho.:):

·
Registered
792 Posts
hi.my manual says use 10w60 selenia racing for 147 2.0ts ,checked with alfa dealer ,they said too thin and to use 10w 40 semi syn .so thats wots in mine .also they use morris lubricants at alfa dealership.surely any brand is good as long as right spec and grade ie ,API SL ,etc:)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Hi guys, got my 147 serviced a few days ago and noticed hes used 5w40 fully synth but have since read that it should be run on 10w40, should I be worried?

Also he changed the spark plugs and used NGK Platinums which cost quite a lot, are these the best plugs to be using?

Thanks
The NGK Platinums are the correct plugs.
They are only changed every 5-years, so not a big expense.

As for the oil, 5W40 Synthetic is also spec'd for the engine, so it will be fine.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
hi.my manual says use 10w60 selenia racing for 147 2.0ts ,checked with alfa dealer ,they said too thin and to use 10w 40 semi syn
Wrong way round... 10W60 is thicker at operating temperature than 10W40.
(assuming the same operating temperature for both oils)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts