Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is another thread by me but a totally separate issue.

Basically, today My dash came up with the warning; "Change Engine Oil" and the oil can started to flash.
Now, i've had two quotes for oil and filter changes and they are both £170!!!!! Is this right? It just doesn't seem justified. I mean the oil is £60 maximum!!!

Now both dealers did say the warning is normal due to the DPF doing its job. I've got about 9000 miles before the service indicator starts flashing.

I am wondering though, will removing the DPF and having an EGR delete/remap save me money by not having to change the oil so often? The dealer said the DPF monitors this and tell's the owner when to change the oil.

Will The remap/EGR delete cause this to malfunction and not actually tell me when to change the oil?
I'm just gob smacked at the price of a simple oil/filter change!!!:wow:

Anyone else had experience with this?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
The oil warning will come on every 18k regardless. It's only based on mileage .

And easy to do yourself for £60 inc filter.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks stevepen! i thought it sounded extortionate. The service department made out that it wasn't based on millage.
maybe to try it on....i don't know. haha

·
Registered
387 Posts
The service indicator will come on after 18k/21k and is based on mileage.

The change oil warning is based on the oil degradation which depends on how many dpf regens have been done.

They weren't lying.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah right i see now. that would explain it.

so what determines the regens then? is it the way i drive? Might i only do 2k miles and it would come on again, for example?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
The service indicator will come on after 18k/21k and is based on mileage.

The change oil warning is based on the oil degradation which depends on how many dpf regens have been done.

They weren't lying.
Errr no I think you are wrong there. The oil has no degradation sensor it's just based on mileage.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Depends on the kind of driving you do and how choked the dpf gets, if it's gettin clogged and doing alot of regens it'll degrade the oil sooner.

As a guideline you should get 50000km before another oil change but thats in an ideal world.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i do a mixture really. some longish trips and some short.

would i be better getting the dpf removed? what happens to all the members on here who have had theirs removed and had a re-map? any problems with that?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Errr no I think you are wrong there. The oil has no degradation sensor it's just based on mileage.
A quote from your Brera manual:

"IMPORTANT The actual engine oil and
filter change frequency depends on the
conditions of use of the car and is signalled
by means of a warning light or
message (where provided) on the instrument
panel."

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't know how getting the dpf removed would affect it.

You are welcome to your opinion steve, but I didn't say there was a sensor for it. It's about the number of regens.

Do you think the warning comes on after a set mileage?

I bet if you asked 100 people when the warning comes on they would all say completely different mileages.

Also, there wouldn't be a software update for early oil degradation if it was based purely on mileage

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Don't know how getting the dpf removed would affect it.
Because excessive incomplete regens result in Diesel in the sump.
No more regens means less Diesel in the sump and therefore healthier oil.

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts

Think again as the Owner's Manual states otherwise for Diesels with a DPF, see below:

Also the OP did say he got a "Change Engine Oil" warning not a "Service" required warning ;)

159 Service schedule 1.jpg

·
Registered
387 Posts
Because excessive incomplete regens result in Diesel in the sump.
No more regens means less Diesel in the sump and therefore healthier oil.
I meant not sure how the warning would work or not work. I suppose it would just think the car wasn't doing regens.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Think again as the Owner's Manual states otherwise for Diesels with a DPF, see below:

Also the OP did say he got a "Change Engine Oil" warning not a "Service" required warning ;)

View attachment 133720
If you read your attachment it just states the oil needs replacing when the "instrument panel warning light" comes on. Its nothing to do with the "service" warning or part of the maintenance schedule. Again I think you will find its just based on mileage.

A way of dealers to get more money :)

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
The ecu works out oil life from the amount of dpf regen's that have taken place and mileage.There is a degradiation counter and an oil change counter in the ecu parameters which have to be reset every service.Main dealers shouldnt change the oil unless the degradiation is low or the oil change light comes on.This is enforced from alfa uk

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well it's seems you have the same problem as i have had and our threads are very close.Bottom line is last time (6k) ago and previous to that is was 12k i only re set the service counter. so the above comments make sense, i also notice when we were going through the sequence of re setting i did notice that it said at one point "previous ecu re sets=5" (or very similar) at the end of the process it said 6 and re set Hey Presto no more oil can on dash..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the ultimate question is that if a re-map is done and the dpf removed, will this stop the "change engine oil" light from coming on?

....And if it stops it from coming on, is this good or bad? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts