Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for opinion. My Veloce has 3500 miles up and the Oil Change sign has come up. The car was brand new in March. Has anyone else got any experience like this? Oil level is fine, I’ve checked. I’ve booked it in for a check in case the sensor is faulty. If not, I guess I’ll have to pay for an oil change. I have no problem with that. I wouldn’t exactly say I only use it for short trips. I do 5 miles to and 5 miles from work daily but part of the journey is in D and manual with high revs. I would have expected this to be time enough for the oil to reach correct temp, etc. But, maybe I’m wrong. Interested in your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
oil change indication is based on 2 seperate/independant parameters, first is number of Km's (miles) travelled since last change, second is time period since last changed ( 1 year).
Km's travelled is also somewhat based on way used....

If you have not had an oil change since March, it is normal to get a change notice based on time (it would actually even be a bit late ;) )

From manual:
(4) The actual interval for changing engine oil and replacing the engine oil filter depends on the vehicle usage conditions and is signalled by the warning light or message in the instrument panel. In any cases, never exceed 1 year.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Based on the two parameters you mention - I have done 3500 miles and it’s only been 5 months - both to me seem very early to require an oil change, based on my past driving experience with Alfas.

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
Thanks. Based on the two parameters you mention - I have done 3500 miles and it’s only been 5 months - both to me seem very early to require an oil change, based on my past driving experience with Alfas.
You're correct, it would be too early.... For some reason I mistakenly assumed it was from March 2018 :(

The 2 parameters also need to be individualy reset..... Not all dealers seem to be aware of this, and only reset one of the parameters after an oil change, usually forgetting the time-based one.....

Other then reset via OBD or dealer, there also appears to be a manual way if you want to try the DIY route:

Oil Change Indicator - Reset
•To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
•Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, six times within 10 seconds.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts