Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the service interval for the 170MJ is 21k miles. I also know that the oil change is variable. Ours is now on 16.5k miles, and with us due to go to Italy (via Munich) in about 4 weeks, I was wondering....

1 I know the oil change is variable and is subject to how many stop/starts, short journeys etc... but how many miles have people had when theirs needed doing?

2 When the change oil light comes on how much warning does it give?

3 Short of the dealer plugging it in is there any way of knowing where its at (% wise for example?)

Ta

·
Registered
154 Posts
Personally i wont be leaving mine 21k - its bound to bring turbo related problems later in life. 12-15K and 12 months is best.

I suppose what you need to think it how much has oil actually changed that means it suddenly lasts 2-4times longer than previous oil changes except for obviously the constant need to seem cheapest to run.

Lee

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do think the oil is infinitely better than it used to be

Just got rid of a 150,000 mile Bravo with the 1.9MJ engine. That had 18k mile intervals and on getting rid it had no engine/oil consumption/turbo issues whatsoever.

I am leaning towards getting it serviced anyway, just to be safe. Also some nice fresh oil for the 3500 mile jaunt in potentially hot temps is probably wise

·
Registered
505 Posts
I will be doing less than 10k miles a year in mine.

My servicing dealer says that it should have an oil change yearly, but that the car is most likely to show an oil change message at the 12 months point anyhow.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ours was registered on 1 June 2012. It had covered 5k miles by mid Feb, and is now over 16k, no messages yet...

R

·
0 Posts
We went on holiday to France last week with 20830 miles on the clock, when we got back we had 21780 miles on the clock and the dash was going bonkers! It was saying "change the oil" and "service coupon expired". Tried to book services with Donalds in peterborough and they just can't seem to fit us in despite having 2 months notice!
Anyway here's what I have learned in a very short time, our last car was a 147 8V JTD and how technology has moved on! Diesel cars with a DPF use fuel to burn off soot, if this process doesn't complete a full cycle there is a chance that unburnt diesel fuel can enter the sump, this diesel can then thin the lubrication oil at best causing obvious problems and become an uncontrolled source of fuel for the engine at worst, in a previous job I have known diesel engines to run to destruction on the lubicating oil alone. So the engine ECU is programmed to protect the engine from these risks. In the service manual for my car it says that the oil change and filter may not be required at 21k but as I was driving home from calais the car starts telling me to change the oil and the oil can icon was flashing every 3 seconds. People on here reckon that Alfa reccommend services within 1000miles of each mileage interval, but the handbook is much more vague, it looks like you may not need an oil change at 21k and somehow I do? PR where are you going to? We do a regular trip to Ancona and that usually adds 3k to our cars mileage if it helps?

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are going to a place between Rome and Naples, via Munich. It will add about 3200 or so, depending on usage over there. If it were to come on there I would just get it serviced over there, and with the bonus of it costing a bit less. However, its a chew and takes up a day of the hols so would rather not.

I suppose I am concerned the light comes on early in the journey, so even if it gave 500 or even 1000 mile warning we would probably go over this....

R

·
0 Posts
That would be quite exotic to have a uk registered car with a eu dealer stamp! but I like your confidence in the dealer network. Personally knowing what I know now I would go for an early service with a reputable dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have family there, that's where we are going. The first (18k) mile service in the Bravo was carried out at a local dealer there. Servizio Fiat stamp ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts