Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to change the oil on the 146 next time home and wondered if theres any reason to or not to use an engine flush prior to shiny new oil?

I used to use them in my old Fords but wondered if anyone does in Alfas.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I've done this once before - and now that I think about it - it was the time just before one of my big-end bearings collapsed.

Now I have to look at causality vs coincidence.

I'd rather suggest changing your oil more regularly than the suggested interval

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've done this once before - and now that I think about it - it was the time just before one of my big-end bearings collapsed.

Now I have to look at causality vs coincidence.

I'd rather suggest changing your oil more regularly than the suggested interval
Couldn't agree more. In fact flushing your engine is a bad idea if you suspect that the previous owener didn't change the oil.

It is well known that these flushes can dislodge crud that has built up over years. The dislodged bits of crud can then block the oil ways, the narrowest of which are the veins going to the big ends.

Oil has detergents in it anyway and will clean your engine quite well over 1000s of miles. Flush that cleans it all out in one go is bad news imo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used it on 2 occasions on my 147 (125000 miles) actually the last time was 2 days ago, hasn't done any damage so far.....famous last words?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never bother, as the oil is very frequently changed, and as I had shell bearing rattles when I used flushing oil in one Jag years ago, it's a no for me.:):

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
there are two kinds of flush, the forced kind where a high pressure machine is attached and the additive stuff, i would reccomend against using a high pressure machine flush but the additives should be perfectly ok

if you have a very old worn out engine then a flush could create leaks where the seals are worn away and only held together by gunk but that would be a rare occasion

the additive kind of flush is only a stronger version of the detergents that are in oil to begin with and can make a big difference to how clean the inside of your engine is

i have used the wynns stuff myself quite a few times, it can be a good idea to take the sump off after using it if your engine is particularly dirty as the thick sludge can settle in the sump and not come out later blocking the oil pickup

also, if you want a slightly less agressive cleaner, use desil engin oil as it contains more detergents than petrol oil (use for a few hundred miles until dirty then chance for fresh petrol oil)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
When we ran two 903cc wee Fiats, hers a Panda, mine a Uno stripped both motors at about 100k or more. No 'gunge' evident, and no wear on any components other that a bit on the cam lobes. Regular oil and filter change for both of those.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What pcbuild2k said. Best bet I'd go for is to change the oil and filter, and if the oil goes darkish after a very short time, change it again, until it finally stabilises. The flushing oils can stir up a lot of unwanted hard lacquer and sludge, if oil changes have not been that frequent? Just my biased view.:(:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive used it every time I changed the oil, mines a 96 145 Cloverleaf with 155k on the clock now and (touch wood) have never had any issues or unusual rattles. Ive read somewhere about people even using diesel oil to flush and then refilling with petrol oil.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Ive used it every time I changed the oil, mines a 96 145 Cloverleaf with 155k on the clock now and (touch wood) have never had any issues or unusual rattles. Ive read somewhere about people even using diesel oil to flush and then refilling with petrol oil.
Being consistent here is the key IMO - you never had any gunk build up by doing it regularly.

Diesel oil????? Diesels use pretty much the same oil types as petrol cars. Does that mean those chaps change the oil twice in succession, or how does that work?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Back in the early 90s, I bought a 1983 Audi Quattro. The oil looked really thick and dirty, so I thought it would be a good idea to do a flush, just the additive in fresh oil, not the forced variety. After following the instructions and refilling with fresh oil, I took her for a run. Results seemed fine at first but then, after a little welly, oil pressure gauge dropped to zero! I stopped the engine and re-started. Oil pressure normal again. This was repeated a few times before I removed the sump and found all sorts of gunk in there that must have been getting sucked onto the oil pickup and blocking it.

I have never used any sort of flushing product since. I think the advice to just change your engine's oil more regularly is sound. It's better to remove the crud build up bit by bit.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Diesel oil????? Diesels use pretty much the same oil types as petrol cars. Does that mean those chaps change the oil twice in succession, or how does that work?
diesel engine oil has more detergents in, so if you empty the old stuff and put in some diesel engine oil for a while (untill black) it will clean the engine out then empy and refresh with normal petrol engine oil :thumbs:

similar to doing a flush but a bit more gentle on the engine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So its a no then, she's only done 44k anyway so i'll change the oil and filter more often.

Have seen people on here doing it every 6k, is this a good distance?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts