Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Can you please advise what oil I should use and how much will I need ... I'm planning to do filter too.

Just had an oil level warning on the display on starting engine, stopped immediately and dipped ... Level is close to max but black, restarted engine and the display showed level at max, could this be just a glitch or a precursor to something much more serious?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You dont say if you have an 8 or 16 valve engine, I believe that the 8 valve uses 10w40 but the 16 valve uses 5w40.
I used to use what ever 10w40 semi synthetic diesel oil was the best buy at the time on my old 8 valve 156, I think it is more important to change it regularly than put the most expensive stuff in.

Was the oil warning a low level or pressure warning, if it was just a level warning then it could just be the sensor playing up if the level on the stick is ok

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8v or 16v engine?
I honestly don't know ..... Total noob to anything technical engine side of a car - normally send it to garage to be done for me but want to start doing for myself :confused:

It's a 1.9JTD 03 if that's any help

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the oil warning a low level or pressure warning, if it was just a level warning then it could just be the sensor playing up if the level on the stick is ok
It was a level warning .... All the bars were showing empty

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you open the bonnet, does it say "16v" or "8v" on the engine cover?
Doh! Should have looked for a simple thing like that .... Just been out to look It says neither :(

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
is the oil filler cap on the left (drivers side) or right(sort of in the middle) on the top of the engine, as you look at it stood in front

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is the oil filler cap on the left (drivers side) or right(sort of in the middle) on the top of the engine, as you look at it stood in front
It's left of centre

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I want 10w40 semi synthetic?

I know I'm going to get many opinions but better filter ... Alfa genuine or a "performance" filter? I don't rag the car about, just use it for DJ gear lugging and round town driving with a fair sprinkling of motorway trekking

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Ok so I want 10w40 semi synthetic?

I know I'm going to get many opinions but better filter ... Alfa genuine or a "performance" filter? I don't rag the car about, just use it for DJ gear lugging and round town driving with a fair sprinkling of motorway trekking
alfa gen and decent oil ....dont bother with so called performance filter:lol:

·
Registered
594 Posts
a 5-40 will be fine, (the first part of the number) it just means it's a little bit thinner when the engine is cold than that of a 10-40, hence allowing the oil to move more freely providing better protection (when cold).
However when the engine is hot both oils will provide the same protection (assuming same brand/spec) and the oil is thinner when hot than when it is cold.

Have a read about oils, and Opie Oils are doing some good deals.

Also, although your oil is black it doesn't necessarily mean that it's ready for a change, try rubbing a bit between your fingers and see if it feels grainy, then it will definitely need changing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts