Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright you 'orrible lot!

who wants to teach this guy <-- all about catch cans?

our beloved JTDm is the first dizzle car ive dealt with in any capacity. (I'm more of a truck man you see). so whilst boost, VNTs, DPFs, Cats, EGRs, adblue, etc etc are all stuff I'm familiar with for some reason ive not had any dealings with oil catch cans.

i get the reasons for venting positive crankcase pressure and all that jazz but on the 2.4 the catch can drains straight back into the block so its not catching anything, surely?

or am i missing the point? is just an oil mist/air separator and dribbles condensed oil back into the block and air is directed back to the intake, pre-turbo?

does it need to be renewed/drained/cleaned at any point in its life?

there is a point to my waffling, my pipework to the catch can is leaking, as is the connection between turbo intake and intake pipework, leading me to believe that there is too much oil up there for some reason. i understand there will be 'minimal amounts' but the fact that its big enough to dribble on the drive makes me think something is afoot.

as usual, any advice is warmly recieved.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Check the big plasticpipe from the MAF to turbo. Where it meets with the turbo, the connection is often loose & can cause drips of oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts