Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know build quality is poor at times but , I tried to take my oil cap off and the damn thing seperated, just clicked a few times and has left the actual plug in the car with the top in my hand. Not only that but checking the oil level is a nightmare, the oil shows way beyond the actual level marker, it's been serviced a few months ago so not overfilled, anyone else have this problem.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
use some pliers on the remainder of the oil cap to get it off. Happens with other brands using the same oil cap aswell.

I used to have issues with the readability of the dipstick, so I made another one which was easier to read. Oil level stays where I put it though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know build quality is poor at times but , I tried to take my oil cap off and the damn thing seperated, just clicked a few times and has left the actual plug in the car with the top in my hand. Not only that but checking the oil level is a nightmare, the oil shows way beyond the actual level marker, it's been serviced a few months ago so not overfilled, anyone else have this problem.
Had mine serviced by D Salmon Colchester in Dec 2015, checked the oil Feb 2016, oil cap snapped in half. Phoned them up and they ordered me a new one, when I went to pick it up, they tried to charge me £10, explained that I hadn't touched the car since they had serviced it, and all the money I had spent with them over the years, with my Giulietta and 500. So they took the old one of with mole grips, and gave me new one for free.

·
Registered
708 Posts
To check oil reliably do the following...

Remove dipstick,
Wipe it,
Go inside for a hot cup of tea,
Go outside to admire car,
Return inside for another cup of hot tea and some biscuits,
Check your car is still there,
Take the dog for a walk,
Then return to your car and insert the dipstick,
Take it out and read oil level.

Oil tends to stick to the sides of the dipstick tube when you remove the dipstick and gives a false reading. Personally I don't have a dog so I remove dipstick in the evening and check the oil level in the morning before I use the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts