Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I hope you could help me, what to do if my oil cap filler won't open? It's just making a clicking sound, do I have to worry about it? Many thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hello guys, I hope you could help me, what to do if my oil cap filler won't open? It's just making a clicking sound, do I have to worry about it? Many thanks.
Same thing happened to me last week, during a service it was pointed out to me it was faulty, not replaced as they did not have one available ( Alfa agent ! 🤣 ) They are cheap and nasty - the ratchet breaks inside, try pushing to one side whilst unscrewing, failing that it will come into 2 parts, ease the top off with a screwdriver then ram something like 1/2" socket drive into the remaining plug, I repaired mine by putting a wine cork between the 2 parts, works a treat, as there is no breather vent to worry about - so you see, there are some good reasons to drink the odd bottle or so 😁

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I've got the dreaded clicking sound of death from my oil filler cap, not sure if it was over tightened on last service, I thought I'd waste some money on an aluminium one, would that be any better or will the same problem arise, it looks nice and should do as it's ten times more than the plastic one,

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
I’ve got a spare oil filler cap for a Giulietta MA if you need one, because I ordered mine with the aluminium one and left that on when I traded it in.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I’ve got a spare oil filler cap for a Giulietta MA if you need one, because I ordered mine with the aluminium one and left that on when I traded it in.
Thanks Cue very kind of you, I splashed out on the Aluminium to treat the car in the hope it might be better quality,

·
Registered
404 Posts
It also gets "too hot to handle" at oil change time! It is just an aluminium cover on the plastic original. Just before I'm due to change the oil, I swap back to the plastic one when it's cold, in order to avoid the removal difficulties.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Let's not forget that it is a plastic cap with aluminum cover.
If you need to open it to drain the oil while hot, use a rag or glove.
Personally I would not even touch the plastic cap while the engine is hot.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
So after splashing out on the bling oil cap, My mechanic removed the cap, apparently I wasn't pushing down hard enough on it, I reckon it was easier to get it off when the engine was hot, I could be wrong, anyway lesson here the dreaded click of death doesn't necessarily mean the cap is fubar, it clicks to stop you over tightening apparently anyway the new one looks good and I have a spare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts