Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
past week or so i've noticed an occasional smell of burning oil in the cabin, today i had a look under the bonnet and noticed oil leaking down from the oil breather system onto the gearbox so i presume that's my issue,
could it be just a brittle o'ring where the unit connects to to rocker cover (arrowed on pic) or will it be the diaphram that's split (also pictured)
The cost of a new complete breather is £96 but on ebay there's a seller who sells a repair part for £15 pictured (seller only has 96% feedback so not the best)

has anyone experienced the same issue ? opinions who be appreciated,
thx in advance dave.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Partsworld has them for about what you say. They do offer discount.
But if it’s only the rubber ‘O’ ring I’d look to replace that as a first action. Do you really want to rely on the repair part from ebay?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Mine had a leak in same area when I got it,replaced o ring with one from an assorted box I have along with a smear of rtv not had an issue since. I certainly wouldn’t spend £96 on new seperator until I had tried o ring replacement. I also wouldn’t go down the repair route either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Funnily enough I've just posted about an oil smell in my cabin (1.4 MA) on another thread. I guess this is the first port of call for a quick check. I was blaming the mixer motor being stuck open for general oil smells but it definitely smells more like fresh burning synthetic oil under duress rather than a general oil smell in there.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I've had this issue in the past and i just put some plumbers tape around the outlet.

its been fine for 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Mine is also leaking a bit there do you remove the 3 bolts and it comes off?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thanks will take old seal out and get a new one

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thanks all I changed the rubber o ring , only had to take the 3 bolts out and the one securing the alum pipe then it can be lifted out of the way , was then wondering do these units need cleaning , on our Volvo its a common problem that they clog up and the diaphragm breaks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts