1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
650 Posts
How can they be more efficient? and why would you need a vacuum type! oil catch tank is just used to catch the oil vapour/gasses, so why would you need to put a vacuum attachment back to the inlet manifold? sort of defeats the object!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Far better (like the original AR design) to suck out the gases using a vacuum keeping the crankcase much cleaner.

But how to prevent the dirty oil/crud re-entering your manifolds is the issue.

Maybe I'm wrong and the oil catch tanks works under a vacuum.
Do they work under a vacuum from the manifold?

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
If you want to use the intake vacuum, you need to run the catch can sealed.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have you compared the performance between the 2 methods?

I did find the engine ran a little cooler and better with a strong vacuum. The hot gases inside being sucked out maintained the temp. really nicely.

Why did Alfa design it this way? 4 small vacuums from the idle ports and 2 large ones from the air intakes.

I will see what DIY device I can come up with.
Maybe some metal dish scrubbers inside as condensers inside a transparent container with an inlet and outlet.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it.

My babies feeding bottles. I have so many of them and they are heatproof!

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Why did Alfa design it this way? 4 small vacuums from the idle ports and 2 large ones from the air intakes.
The small lower positions are for when the throttle is closed.

You get the same on modern cars too, but with just one pre throttle-body pipe and one post throttle-body (with a valve).

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The small lower positions are for when the throttle is closed.
yep and these are connected to the large ones just under the condenser.

Alfa designed it that way for emissions closed circuit breather!
Yes true. But IMHO a vacuum always helps to keep the crank cleaner and cooler. If you can efficiently prevent this from being burnt back in the chamber then all the better

I had an open filter for a week and with the inside vents open on the highway the vapor could be smelt inside.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kev

What do you do with the small 4 inlet manifold vacuum ports if you have a oil filter on the filler cap?

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Kev

What do you do with the small 4 inlet manifold vacuum ports if you have a oil filter on the filler cap?
Block them.
Although I think I linked them together on each carb, but it was 20-years ago, so can't be sure!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Block them.
Although I think I linked them together on each carb, but it was 20-years ago, so can't be sure!
ok I'll give it a go. I have them linked with new piping recently as the plastic connector broke, 4-2-1, so I will just link them together with the same piping and see the results.
They do make a lot of clutter around the engine block which I dislike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts