Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...sorry..I know, I know. Its all out there in the search bar somewhere but...

I stick (Millers) 10w-60w fully synth in my 03' 156 JTS, have done since I saw it recomended on here and it was recomended by my alfa garage, and its great no complaints... then I take my car to my 'Alfa garage' and tell them I'm using 10w-60w oil and I require and oil change.
I go and pick the car up and the guy says... oh we put 5w-30w in it... thats what we always use for that car! :furious:

...So my question is - what are they on about and is it ok to put that oil in a JTS?
Also, I now need to top up... do I top up with 5w-30w or can I mix in my 10w-60w and cross my fingers?

Thanks... and sorry for bringing this up again! :teacher:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
You can mix oils so long as they are not ester or mineral. Which I am sure that won't be.

In any case I'd get them to drop it out. 30w oil if far too thin for the JTS engine.

·
Vendor
45,795 Posts
No its not OK. Sounds like they don't have a clue, get it dropped out ASAP, it'll probably burn a lot quicker than the 10w60 does so keep an eye on the levels until you get it done, oil pressure might be a little lower too.

10w40 might be OK at a push (that's what you'd put in a Twinspark which is very similar to a JTS) but its never OK to put anything other than the correct oil into a customer's car unless they specifically ask you to. As someone who runs a garage, it is a massive no-no in my book, its just carelessness.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
There are so many mechanics that don't actually check this. Its a wonder things don't go really badly.

I mean it takes two mins to review even using google.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
More like they've got a 55 gall drum of 5W - 30 oil giving them a big margin, buying in the correct oil would be a PITA for them. Like guys have said get them to put in what they were told to.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, this isn't the only thing to anoy me about this particular garage...
Anyone know where I might get a good deal on 10w 60, looks like I'll be keeping the JTS...

·
Registered
912 Posts
got mine from Opie. they've normally got some sort of offer on.

i think Ned at Autolusso has a deal on 10-60 fuchs. Think it was about 30 quid for 5l.

Its a good oil.

PS - try the place we spoke about - I'm very pleased with them and their labour rate is fair.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that guys! really useful stuff - won't be going back there, that was there last chance!

got mine from Opie. they've normally got some sort of offer on.

i think Ned at Autolusso has a deal on 10-60 fuchs. Think it was about 30 quid for 5l.

Its a good oil.

PS - try the place we spoke about - I'm very pleased with them and their labour rate is fair.
Hey Valinco, I tried to ring you on Saturday but got no answer - sorry if you were waiting for me, I would of only been able to give you bad news anyway as it happens (I'm no longer buying a GTA...Boooo!)... although I did consider being a cheeky bugger and asking for drive in your GTA anyway!
....Bonello Auto Services wasn't it? I will give them a chance... I can't believe how disappointing the garages are in Newcastle.

I did see Opie...Ned at Autolusso - got it!

Cheers.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Thanks for that guys! really useful stuff - won't be going back there, that was there last chance!

Hey Valinco, I tried to ring you on Saturday but got no answer - sorry if you were waiting for me, I would of only been able to give you bad news anyway as it happens (I'm no longer buying a GTA...Boooo!)... although I did consider being a cheeky bugger and asking for drive in your GTA anyway!
....Bonello Auto Services wasn't it? I will give them a chance... I can't believe how disappointing the garages are in Newcastle.

Cheers.

Yes the Titan 10w/60 is on our shop at £28 inc VAT for 5 litres

£6.50 shipping

Fuchs Titan Supersyn 10W-60 High Performance Fully Synthetic Engine Oil - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Ned

·
Registered
912 Posts

Cheers.
If you want to come over anytime - i'd be happy to take you out and show you round the car.

Michael Bonello is a top bloke and has got me interested in 105 series alfas. Hes one of the top guys in the county for restoring these cars. Hoping to get a rolling resto soon on his advice - finances permitting (thus the sale of the GTA). I was recently in there and he has 2 147 GTA's in. One of which was getting a new clutch for some guy in Middlesbrough. So obviously people are prepared to travel for his services.

In terms of my GTA - I actually had to take it off the market as the wifes VW failed its MOT (2 pages of failures and advisories) so i'm now not in a position to sell. If you do want to take a look to compare mine to others (and see what you get for 6k) you're more than welcome.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the links spacecadet - ebay is great when you find gems like that!

Thanks for the offer Valinco, and thanks for the recommendation too, now I just have to decide weather to go and see Pud 70 miles away or stay home and take a punt on another local... Time will tell... ???

Might end up doing the oil and filter change myself to save a few £ ...must stop being lazy!

·
Vendor
45,795 Posts
It isn't difficult on the 2.0 JTS. Hardest part is getting the undertray off and back on again (if you have one).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It isn't difficult on the 2.0 JTS. Hardest part is getting the undertray off and back on again (if you have one).
Ha... I know - sounds like a nightmare with all the seized bolts... Luckily I don't have an under tray. :thumbup:
...told you, its just laziness!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts