Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm not dragging up too much of an old discussion/argument but I've heard varying opinions over the past few days. My 2001 156 1.8 TS had her 108,000 mile service last week and looking at the receipt for the work done the oils been changed with fully synthetic 5W/40. I've always put semi synthetic 10W/40 in her and have got 5L of this sat in the garage. Would it cause any harm topping up with the semi 10W or should I just shell out and get some 5W fully synthetic?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Hope I'm not dragging up too much of an old discussion/argument but I've heard varying opinions over the past few days. My 2001 156 1.8 TS had her 108,000 mile service last week and looking at the receipt for the work done the oils been changed with fully synthetic 5W/40. I've always put semi synthetic 10W/40 in her and have got 5L of this sat in the garage. Would it cause any harm topping up with the semi 10W or should I just shell out and get some 5W fully synthetic?
should be ok, as far as i know, part and full synthetic can be mixed, that little cold weight difference doesnt matter as they will just mix together;)

do search the forums though, there is plenty of oil info on here:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
I just swapped my oil from Selenia to Mobil S and the car runs better on Mobil S than Selenia. Much happier.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
And by plenty Red means an absolute crap load!!! I mixed oil before and had no problems.
i was being polite:cheese:

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
I just swapped my oil from Selenia to Mobil S and the car runs better on Mobil S than Selenia. Much happier.
Selenia is very overrated.

My last 156 had been run on nothing but selenia changed every 10,000 miles and the amount of deposits inside the cam cover and in the cam area was staggering.

I had to remove every cam bearing cap to scrape the deposits out which were like a cross between carbon and a sort of varnish.

The engine must have been nicely run in though as with 100k showing it used virtually no oil.

I have always found that TS engines run better and sound quieter on 5w-40 fully synthetic than they do on 10w-40 semi

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Selenia is very overrated.

My last 156 had been run on nothing but selenia changed every 10,000 miles and the amount of deposits inside the cam cover and in the cam area was staggering.

I had to remove every cam bearing cap to scrape the deposits out which were like a cross between carbon and a sort of varnish.

The engine must have been nicely run in though as with 100k showing it used virtually no oil.

I have always found that TS engines run better and sound quieter on 5w-40 fully synthetic than they do on 10w-40 semi
mangos said to me they are phasing out the 20k and its being replaced by the WR 5w40, which they put in mine, and it was so sweet driving back home, nice and smooth:D

so 5w 40 is what goes in now, and its so much smoother than when i got it:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
...although Selenia has one of the funkiest cans on sale, so funky in fact that I got a good one with no dents or scratches and cleaned it back to squeaky clean and now use it for olive oil in the kitchen. Raises a few eyebrows now and then when people think I'm cooking with 10/40. :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
petrol cans full of beer:cheese:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
And by plenty Red means an absolute crap load!!! I mixed oil before and had no problems.
Just because you had no problem, doesn't mean no-one will have a problem.
Mixing oil is not definitely going to cause problems, but it may if the additive packages aren't compatible.

So as said, lots of of advice on various threads about oil, some conflicting, its up to the individual to decide which is crap :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Just because you had no problem, doesn't mean no-one will have a problem.
Mixing oil is not definitely going to cause problems, but it may if the additive packages aren't compatible.

So as said, lots of of advice on various threads about oil, some conflicting, its up to the individual to decide which is crap :thumbs:
wrong mate, you didnt get the joke, i said theres "plenty of info" being poilte, eric translated, to "a crap load of info". as we all know oil is probably the most discussed topic next to a mitos mpg;):thumbs:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Rule of thumb.....Use the best quality oil and stick with it. All manufactures have their 'favorites' eg; Citroen used to tell me that Total was the best oil in the BX16v..... I used Mobil semi synthetic without bother. Car was excellent. My jtd lives happily on Castrol Edge and I'm sticking with that.:rant:

·
Registered
519 Posts
P.S. Oil got from supermarkets should only be used for cooking, oil got from DIY superstores? Well that's okay for treating timber fences and lubricating gate hinges!:lol::lol::lol::thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
...I have always found that TS engines run better and sound quieter on 5w-40 fully synthetic than they do on 10w-40 semi
That's odd as I rang Opie Oils and spoke to a lad there that recommended Fully Synthetic 5w40 for the car but I ignored him. He even said that it would run better and a lot smoother. Show's what an *** I can be at times.

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
P.S. Oil got from supermarkets should only be used for cooking, oil got from DIY superstores? Well that's okay for treating timber fences and lubricating gate hinges!:lol::lol::lol::thumbs:

It depends, most supermarket oil is made by other oil manufacturers. Asda oil is made by terosyl who also make Carlube.
It meets the right API and ACEA specs so I cannot see any problem with it.

The 20w-50 oil you can buy that is ultra cheap and carries no specs should be avoided unless you are using it to lubricate gate hinges, chains etc...

I am using Asda 10w-40 mineral oil in the Bravo at the moment. It cost £2 per litre and the car needs 3 litres to fill the sump.

The car runs fine on it, but we don't drive it hard. If we did we would put a semi synthetic in there.

I Cannot see the point of spending a fortune on oil in a £500 car, as long as it is the right grade and spec it will do.

·
Registered
519 Posts
supermarkets etc

It depends, most supermarket oil is made by other oil manufacturers. Asda oil is made by terosyl who also make Carlube.
It meets the right API and ACEA specs so I cannot see any problem with it.

The 20w-50 oil you can buy that is ultra cheap and carries no specs should be avoided unless you are using it to lubricate gate hinges, chains etc...

I am using Asda 10w-40 mineral oil in the Bravo at the moment. It cost £2 per litre and the car needs 3 litres to fill the sump.

The car runs fine on it, but we don't drive it hard. If we did we would put a semi synthetic in there.

I Cannot see the point of spending a fortune on oil in a £500 car, as long as it is the right grade and spec it will do.
Don't mind me Symon .... Twas a moment, a most unusual moment of me being a smart alec, or boll_x! As some would rightly say:eek:
I do very much agree with you regards spending a fortune on oil for what may be a cheap car.....been there myself.
All the best to you,
Cieran :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
wrong mate, you didnt get the joke, i said theres "plenty of info" being poilte, eric translated, to "a crap load of info". as we all know oil is probably the most discussed topic next to a mitos mpg;):thumbs:
:) Just waiting for the daily thermostat thread....

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts